Tikka T3X Tight or will not Chamber on Reloads

Josebigsky

I picked up a new Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor and took it to the range. It is a great shooter after setting up the scope, all shots were touching with reloads at 100 yards. Pics attached. I shot various handloads and bullet weight combos.

The problem I encountered was that not all of my reloads would chamber. I have Montana Rifle Company 6.5 Creedmoor.
  • Nine of the ten reloads would chamber in the Montana Rifle Company rifle.
  • Three of the 10 had a stiff bolt handle as it was closing but still chambered.
  • Only one of 10 would not chamber.
  • Bullets were seated to factor spec. and COAL is factory.
  • The brass is Nosler (only thing I could find at the time). I have Lapua now but not loaded.
  • I trimmed and resized (Redding Dies) my spent brass.
  • Feeding it into the Tikka it would not chamber. It did chamber in the Montana Rifle Company gun.
  • Feeding the new Lapua brass into the Tikka is no problem.
Conclusions are I have a very tight chamber in the new Tikka.

What would you do if you were me?

1. Load the Lapua brass shoot it and then trim if needed and resize it to see if there are problems with the die.
2. Order a go gauge or take the rifle to a gunsmith and have them measure the chamber with a go gauge. ( I have heard of some problems with barrels being over-torqued from the factory when the barrel is set to 75 lbs problems go away.)
3. Order a Wilson Cartridge gauge to see if cartridges meet the minimum SAMII spec
4. Do something else I haven't thought of. Please explain.

Thank you!

Tikka.jpg

10 of 10 should chamber easily in the rifle you actually reloaded for. The odds of both of your chambers being out of spec seem slim so I would bet me you have an issue setting up your sizing die, a problem with the die itself, or an issue with the brass.

Are you neck sizing or full-length sizing? If neck sizing only, that would explain the problem with seating reloads for the MRC in the Tikka. Did all rounds brass chamber easily when you loaded new brass?

Friend had same problem and he sized his brass with my dies so it wasn't die problem.
He did not have a chamber brush so he used mine with solvent and fixed the problem.
He did not believe in cleaning his brass and thought it was a waste of time but residue from dirty brass must have gotten in the chamber.
Problem gone.Check your chamber

I would suggest measuring the headspace differences between the rounds that will and won't chamber and report back. A thousandth or two can be the difference in chambering in one gun and not another.
You may need to segregate your brass in the future between the two rifles.
What is the best way to do this?

10 of 10 should chamber easily in the rifle you actually reloaded for. The odds of both of your chambers being out of spec seem slim so I would bet me you have an issue setting up your sizing die, a problem with the die itself, or an issue with the brass.

Are you neck sizing or full-length sizing? If neck sizing only, that would explain the problem with seating reloads for the MRC in the Tikka. Did all rounds brass chamber easily when you loaded new brass?
Full length resizing.

Yes the brass loaded easily in the MRC.

I figured it out. Thank you! It was the die that was set up to work with the MRC rifle. The headspace was different in the Tikka. So I measured the headspace differences using a spent 9mm cartridge for my gauge on the virgin Lapua brass and the Nosler brass that wouldn't chamber. It was off by 4/1000's.

Thank you for the suggestion Pdd, bakpkr, and Dmagna.

Couldn't have done it without your help!

Thank you!!!

Get yourself an open slotted Sheridan gauge so you can see exactly where your issue is if it is a sizing related issue.