Tikka T3X CTR 6.5 Creedmoor Load Advice with a 20in Barrel

kendallhadden

Hello LRH!
I've been working on some loads for my CTR and the load that seems to be most consistent is 40.6gr of H4350 with Hornady 143gr ELD-X. I don't have a chronograph (yet) to check velocity, but based on my reading on the forum I'm running a light powder load which would mean slower FPS. Just curious what you all think and if you have a CTR 6.5, what are you loading?

Thanks!

I'll double check tonight but I think I am running 42.1 grains of H4350 with BR2 primers in Hornady brass, ELDX 143 oal to ogive at 2.256.5 and they are running 2635 fps. That is giving me awesome accuracy but I would also take with a grain of salt because this is my first year reloading.

You're most likely taking a bigger hit than you think on velocity. It seems that Tikkas are a tad on the slow side to start with, but you also have the short tube.

I have a T3x Compact in 6.5, which also has the 20" barrel. It gets a little less than 2600 with factory Hornady Match 140's. I haven't tried to improve that at all, since it's mostly for my son and I actually shoot reduced loads in it. The reduced 4895 and lower-end 4350 loads get about 100-150 FPS les than I would expect from a 24" barrel.

Tikkas are defintely a little slow. I have a 24" CTR 6.5cm.
Handloads of 140gr ELD-M over 41.5gr of H4350 and Hornady brass run 2596fps
Factory Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo runs 2618fps

Tikkas are defintely a little slow. I have a 24" CTR 6.5cm.
Handloads of 140gr ELD-M over 41.5gr of H4350 and Hornady brass run 2596fps
Factory Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo runs 2618fps

Yeah, that confirms what I've heard. I get 2730 from the factory 147's in my 24" Bergara HMR Pro, but it think it is a pretty slick/fast barrel.

I love Tikkas, and I have 2 of them, but if I were intending to hunt with one in a 20" Creed at extended ranges, I'd definitely do some homework. The OP might want to experiment with slightly faster powders if that's the case. If it's just for steel/paper, no big deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.