Tikka T3..Now what? :-)

Msax80

Hey guys...first off, thanks to all who have written articles and shared info in posts. I have sat quietly for a while just reading and deciding what I wanted after posting some threads about a year ago.

I got a steal on a Tikka T3 Lite synthetic stock 300 wsm... Brand new $349

Trying to decide what to do for upgrades.
I put a Limbsaver pad on, and while it decreases recoil nicely, it brings the length of pull to around 14". I am more comfortable with 13.5". I am torn between trying to cut it down or just getting a replacement stock. I like the Manners elite hunter, and the tikka performance laminate. Any money i don't use on the stock goes to glass.
I like the idea of keeping it light, my goal is to be able to hunt black bear in the back country and shoot to 600 yards.

I would appreciate thoughts on the stock, caliber for intended use, and any other upgrade options.
Thanks!

I had a T3 in 300WM that I put in a B&C Medalist stock. I also had a local gunsmith cut it down to 13 inches LOP. I like this combination.

I have been skeptical of Muzzle brakes because of comments about them and hearing loss. I have already suffered some hearing loss from shooting without hearing protection when I was younger (very stupid).

What are your thoughts on this?

Also do you guys think that switching the Tikka Bottom plastic for a bottom metal and different mag system is worthwhile?

Visit tikkaperformance.com and look and some of their options. I also have a T3 Lite Stainless in 300 WSM and love it. I did their "Elite Series" kit w/ a 20 MOA rail, buttpad, recoil lug, & bolt shroud. Out of all of those things...I would highly recommend the bolt shroud (it replaces the cheap plastic one with a metal one). Next would be the recoil lug, then the rail, and last the buttpad. The T3 Lite holds up to its name and is a light rifle, but the recoil of a 300 WSM is very bearable(No need for a muzzle brake IMO). If you are looking for decent glass, I put on a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 and couldn't be happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.