Tikka T3/X Lite Fans / Share what likes what

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
I sighted in the Tikka T3x .300 WM today. I'm very happy with the gun. I dialed in my Elk Hunting Load , Nosler 180 grain Partition , 70 gr IMR4350.
Got a half inch 3 shot group at 100 yards, set 1.25-ish inches high. I'll take it.

Attachments

• F7322CA0-B2A3-43C4-87DC-523A894BBABC.jpeg
    F7322CA0-B2A3-43C4-87DC-523A894BBABC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
I picked up a t3x a few months ago in 7mm rem mag. I struggled to find something really good. I ordered a pack of the new Sierra game changers. It loves em. I'm using rl 25. I don't remember off the top of my head charge and col.

I sighted in the Tikka T3x .300 WM today. I'm very happy with the gun. I dialed in my Elk Hunting Load , Nosler 180 grain Partition , 70 gr IMR4350.
Got a half inch 3 shot group at 100 yards, set 1.25-ish inches high. I'll take it.

Oh man, excellent grouping. 180gn weight is going to give you some long range elk love. I love when a load is dialed in like that and ready for the recipe book of certified loads. And from what, a 6.4lb rifle, stock?

20170809_172106 - Copy.jpg 20170809_172129 - Copy.jpg 20170809_172925 - Copy.jpg rifle - Copy.jpg

My '06 likes 168 A-Max with a couple different powders and about .050" off the lands. These were some groups while testing loads shot off bi-pod at 100 yards. I was pretty rushed so the barrel was heated good with about 50 rounds I had to get printed in a few hours.

Major, what was the OAL of those loads .050" off? Just curious.
Just got home and couldn't find my notes to verify CBTO, but from memory it was 2.683ish with the Hornady OAL gauge. I later found this to be incorrect though when loading Neck sized brass and found I could actually load significantly longer before hitting the lands.

COAL was 3.345-3.37, all shot great with the best groups being 3.35ish. I also shot some 178 A-Max with a COAL of 3.37 that had almost identical POI and was just as tight. These were a touch over book max, but velocity was lower and they showed no pressure signs.

I could be wrong about being .05" off the lands, I would need to find my notes to be sure as I have been loading for my 270 last week and have all those numbers floating around in my head still.

T3 6.5x55

Likes anything I can feed with sub .5moa groups with most bullets

The trick in this caliber is to seat the bullet as far as you can without it falling out(the Swede is a long action) and the throat seems to be very long
James

I got a T3 Lite from a friend who did not handload and got tired of 6.5x55 ammo. $550 used, as I knew he had not shot out the barrel (he was giving me is brass, and managed 4 boxes).

Anyhow, I knew he was not pleased with accuracy as well. I handload and am generally pretty proficient. Figured I could do better. I got a several sub MOA loads together, though not all were temp and barometric pressure consistent. Best bullet 5 years ago was the 140 A-max. I am interested in heavier pills. The throat on the Tikka is measured in fathoms, I swear. As noted above, you load to get the bullet as close as possible -- you'll never get to the lands as far as I know, except perhaps with a 160 gr roundnose....

But its my favorite gun to carry. Has a nice older Zeiss on top that is pretty light.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.