Tikka OAL

jeffdvorak13

Good afternoon. I have a Tikka T3 in 270wsm and would like to increase my OAL however the mag won't allow this. I've seen some cases where you can modify the existing mag to allow for longer bullets but could you just use a 300 win mag and modify the bolt stop? If not please explain other options...

Thank you.

You might want to see how it shoots long. Most of the Tikka's I've had shot just as good with a bit of jump as they did close to the lands. If it shoots better, you can get a bolt stop kit and a magnum magazine.

I have a T3 Varmint in 308 that I run 185 Berger Hybrids in. I have to load one at a time, because I have not dropped the coin for the kit and mag yet. I use it for shooting steel at 1K, and ther's no big rush on loading. The big Bergers look crazy long in a .308.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...release-bolt-assembly-tikka-t3-prod31611.aspx

image.jpg

185 Berger next to a 165 AB SAAMI

Wow that does look huge!! Guess I will run some test loads at SAAMI and see what happens. I'm trying Accubonds, Berger Hunting vld, and Barnes. If I don't get the accuracy I'm looking for then may try more loads touching lands.

I just modified my magazine by using long action spring and follower and cutting out the tab in the short mag magazine. Then I epoxied a small ramp to ensure the top shell in the magazine stayed forward within the limits of the bolt throw. (Ground original bolt stop) all that said mine has reliably fed, but is a small trick to get the third shell into magazine having to push on rear of follower for some reason. I'm shooting 215 hybrid out of 300WSM. Was trying to post pictures.. But won't up load for some reason.

I just modified my magazine by using long action spring and follower and cutting out the tab in the short mag magazine. Then I epoxied a small ramp to ensure the top shell in the magazine stayed forward within the limits of the bolt throw. (Ground original bolt stop) all that said mine has reliably fed, but is a small trick to get the third shell into magazine having to push on rear of follower for some reason. I'm shooting 215 hybrid out of 300WSM. Was trying to post pictures.. But won't up load for some reason.

Can you explain or show me what you mean about the "small Ramp"? So I need to order a long action mag so I can use the guts in my current mag with cutting out the tab? That's good info just not sure on the ramp part?

THANK YOU!

I don't have pictures of it now... It worked without doing this. But because the feed tabs on the shortmag magazine did not extend back as far as the case head is now extend. One time a shell slid to the very back where I did not cut out the feed tabs and the bolt went over the shell not chambering it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.