Tikka Action Weights

After a UM treatment it's attractive, needs a 20 minute rail added, that's another 3oz. So you're at 26oz and around $900-1000 in? Not bad. I have 4 or 5 Tikka actions, nothing wrong with em. They work!
Or use UM tikka rings and leave the rail out of the equation. 4.5oz for the rings. Rail is 2-2.5oz plus 3-4oz rings at best.

Or use UM tikka rings and leave the rail out of the equation. 4.5oz for the rings. Rail is 2-2.5oz plus 3-4oz rings at best.
Even their high rings, when direct mount to the rail, are a medium height on a Pic rail ring. I'd have to try them and see how they work out. Tikkas have a pretty low rail to bore height, even with a Pic rail installed compared to 700 clones. I usually use 1.250-1.50 rings on all my rifles.

After a UM treatment it's attractive, needs a 20 minute rail added, that's another 3oz. So you're at 26-27oz and around $900-1000 in? Not bad. I have 4 or 5 Tikka actions, nothing wrong with em. They work!
Or sure why you need a rail with sportsmatch and UM rings. SRS just came out with a super light weight rail for tikka. Something to note if you do the tikka action mods you lose one screw in the front.

A rail and NF rings were the exact same weight as the UM rings.

A1862DED-D140-4DE6-8465-86B26BD4D947.jpeg
9AC92F53-A879-4013-BD3E-A246F8CAAC21.jpeg

Not mine. Just info passed to me when I was saying how heavy rings and a rail were haha. I'll ask. Pretty sure they are 34mm though for an Atacr.
That may explain it as well, mine we also 30mm. I have the Hawkins hybrids on another tikka and they were light as well, can't remember the exact weight. Advantage of the dovetail rings is if you get the lightening from UM you have more room to move the rings around on the scope. For my eye relief I basically maxed out the Hawkins rings with my trijicon.

That may explain it as well, mine we also 30mm. I have the Hawkins hybrids on another tikka and they were light as well, can't remember the exact weight. Advantage of the dovetail rings is if you get the lightening from UM you have more room to move the rings around on the scope. For my eye relief I basically maxed out the Hawkins rings with my trijicon.
Yea always pros and cons. The SM rings are cheaper and lighter than the UM rings. So if they have a ring that will work for a persons application it's a great way to go.

UM rings weigh a little more and cost more. There are also more options with UM.

You have direct mount like Hawkins Hybrids which seem almost obsolete for a Tikka.

Then there is the pic/ring combo. The most amount of adjustment, more expensive, and possibly heavier.

Great time to shoot a Tikka with all the options out there.

Yea always pros and cons. The SM rings are cheaper and lighter than the UM rings. So if they have a ring that will work for a persons application it's a great way to go.

UM rings weigh a little more and cost more. There are also more options with UM.

You have direct mount like Hawkins Hybrids which seem almost obsolete for a Tikka.

Then there is the pic/ring combo. The most amount of adjustment, more expensive, and possibly heavier.

Great time to shoot a Tikka with all the options out there.
Someone on another thread mentioned that IF you do the UM action lightening, you may be forced to use UM rings because you lose some threaded holes and need the integral rail for support. Unverified but makes sense.

Someone on another thread mentioned that IF you do the UM action lightening, you may be forced to use UM rings because you lose some threaded holes and need the integral rail for support. Unverified but makes sense.
Or you could use SM rings. Lighter and less expensive than UM rings.

To each their own, but I have never jumped onto the Tikka bandwagon. I've handled several, but they have never made the Final Cut for me. The UM full works would seem to make the action light weight, but would be approaching full custom $$$.

Or you could use SM rings. Lighter and less expensive than UM rings.
Keep in mind theres a reason why the UM tikka rings are so heavy. They have been proven to pass drop testing. If you are unfamiliar with it there are threads on here about rokslide drop testing. If you dont care about the durability much then theres definitely lighter options.

Last edited:
Keep in mind theres a reason why the UM tikka rings are so heavy. They have been proven to pass drop testing. If you are unfamiliar with it there are threads on here about rokslide drop testing. If you dont care about the durability much then theres definitely lighter options.
SM rings passed drop tests also.

I didn't like the hawkins 1 piece hybrid base/ring combo on Tikka application. I had them on a 8# carbon Tikka 300wsm and was constantly dealing with loose base/ring screws even with blue loktite. Also, no recoil lugs is loading the tiny screws a LOT, one sheared even when torqued to spec. Maybe they have revised them to utilize a recoil pin, but mine were some very early ones from inital production. I've since switched to Area419 Pic rails with recoil lug, and NF ultralite rings.