Tikka Action Weights

Seezer

I am thinking of building a lightweight rifle starting with a Tikka barreled action. Does anyone know if the weight of the action from a Tikka T3X SuperLite, Light, Lite Roughtech, and Light Veil are the same? Also, I have read the short action and long action are the same on Tikka's, is this correct?

They are the same action just use a different bolt stop for long and short. They are pretty similar in weight, I think the bolt knobs are different and fluting on bolt is different. Everything else is the same
Yup all same. Only difference is coating and/or SS. Weight should be within .5oz or so.

Edit: adding, they are relatively light weight with some mods. If you can find a Ti bolt handle and you do some lightening cuts in the action (UM or Krampfield) you can have a 24oz long action (unfortunately short is same weight….no savings there).

My best accuracy in Tikka Rifles ( owned 3 ) comes from, Tikka T-3's with, the NON Fluted Barrels ( 4 ounces More, But, they "Shoot" awesome ! ).
7.5 to 7.75 Total lbs with, Scope, is possible,.. if you DON'T go Crazy and buy, a "Pig weight",.. Scope !

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very helpful! Key takeaways are that going with a short action Tikka caliber does not offer much weight savings. Secondly, choosing a "Light" Tikka barreled action versus the Superlight might offer benefits in accuracy and cost without much of a weight penalty.
I also agree with Lefty on the scope comment. Below is a picture of my stock Tikka T1 Superlight in 30-06 with a reasonably light scope - 7 lbs, 8 ounces! I could cut another 5-6 ounces by going with a Swarovski Z3. There are also some stocks now being made for Tikka's that are even lighter, enabling another 4+ oz reduction. I think its very possible to get a Tikka barreled action below 7 lbs - amazing. Right next to it is the picture of my best group with my Superlight 30-06 with handloads - .06". Looks like one hole. Everyone I know with a Tikka has a better than .75" MOA gun.

I also really like to use Arca Swiss with tripods when hunting out west. The final picture is my Tikka with a Grayboe Phoenix. Really changed the feel of the rifle for the better, and it is fantastic on the mountain. Tikka's are an incredible value for their weight and accuracy if they make the caliber you want - how about a 7 PRC soon Tikka?

Attachments

• Tikka Swift.jpg
    Tikka Swift.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 66697595016__61EA8761-F4DB-443E-B293-FD7533045614.jpg
    66697595016__61EA8761-F4DB-443E-B293-FD7533045614.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Stock Tikka Weight.jpg
    Stock Tikka Weight.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very helpful! Key takeaways are that going with a short action Tikka caliber does not offer much weight savings. Secondly, choosing a "Light" Tikka barreled action versus the Superlight might offer benefits in accuracy and cost without much of a weight penalty.
I also agree with Lefty on the scope comment. Below is a picture of my stock Tikka T1 Superlight in 30-06 with a reasonably light scope - 7 lbs, 8 ounces! I could cut another 5-6 ounces by going with a Swarovski Z3. There are also some stocks now being made for Tikka's that are even lighter, enabling another 4+ oz reduction. I think its very possible to get a Tikka barreled action below 7 lbs - amazing. Right next to it is the picture of my best group with my Superlight 30-06 with handloads - .06". Looks like one hole. Everyone I know with a Tikka has a better than .75" MOA gun.

I also really like to use Arca Swiss with tripods when hunting out west. The final picture is my Tikka with a Grayboe Phoenix. Really changed the feel of the rifle for the better, and it is fantastic on the mountain. Tikka's are an incredible value for their weight and accuracy if they make the caliber you want - how about a 7 PRC soon Tikka?
Awesome! I have a Tikka CTR in 308 on the way to me. Can't wait.

Tikka action and lightweight aren't really synonymous. Its quite a bit heavier than a true lightweight 700 clone. They weigh 30oz. You can send it to Unknown munitions, and they'll machine out 4-5 oz with lightening cuts to the top rail and other key areas.

Tikka action and lightweight aren't really synonymous. It's quite a bit heavier than a true lightweight 700 clone. They weigh 30oz. You can send it to Unknown munitions, and they'll machine out 4-5 oz with lightening cuts to the top rail and other key areas.
Not sure I agree.

30oz. Take the 4-5oz off for the fairly cheap UM price. Throw in an upgraded Ti bolt handle and your at 24oz (max) for a LA.

And at least on mine that 30oz covers the trigger too. So best to deduct another ~2oz for that because most clones don't come with triggers. 22oz LA.

That puts it pretty darn close to as light as all the other R700 clones. And you can do all that for $1k or under (inclusive of nice trigger) depending how you source the action. Plus whether we agree or not some folks like tikkas more than R700s clones.

Tikkas also hold up much better in bad ice and snow conditions. REM 700 clones weakness is the trigger and most aren't drop safe. I should also say this is based on non modified tikka action. If you flute the bolt and action it could make malfunctions easier. Flutes on the bolt could move debris into the action/mag area.

Last edited:
I liked this comparison in weights:

1705709996057.png

I liked this comparison in weights:

View attachment 534584

And I'm nearly positive by "fluted action" he means just the bolt (it saves maybe .5oz).

Subtract another ~6oz if you want the UM lightened action and a Ti bolt handle. Puts it at 28oz vs 30oz. Also at $1000 vs easily $1500-2000 for everything mentioned there.

Tikka action and lightweight aren't really synonymous. It's quite a bit heavier than a true lightweight 700 clone. They weigh 30oz. You can send it to Unknown munitions, and they'll machine out 4-5 oz with lightening cuts to the top rail and other key areas.
30oz with trigger
28oz without
27oz with mtn gear titanium bolt handle
23oz with UM lightening to action and bolt

Tough to beat that for the price, and a 70° bolt throw as well on a medium action.

After a UM treatment it's attractive, needs a 20 minute rail added, that's another 3oz. So you're at 26-27oz and around $900-1000 in? Not bad. I have 4 or 5 Tikka actions, nothing wrong with em. They work!

Recent Posts