Tight budget 30.06 build.

for a facelift on your old 06 then get new barrel and new stock you won't have any trouble getting to 400 it will definitely look different the just add the other stuff as your range increases like trigger,etc.

I tend to buy Krieger or Brux barrels however I do have a Douglas that I had put together 30 years ago with a Sako short action. It shoots 0.5 MOA. The Brux is shooting about the same. Just this morning I shot a 0.500" group at 200 yards with my Savage 300 RUM using a barrel I got for $95 off Numrich's site.

The real difference between all those barrels is how often you have to clean them and how much copper you get out of them. The factory 300 RUM shoots 1 hole but only for 15 rounds and then it falls off a cliff and groups expand to the size of your fist. I picks up copper too. The Brux on the other hand picks up zero copper ever no matter what I shoot through it and it just keeps shooting. The Douglas barrel does pick up copper but it is way better than your average factory barrel and they are a good value - which is probably why you were asking about them.

mrbofus

I'd like to throw another thought at you that may effect what you decide to do.

You mentioned your personal 400 yard limit as the farthest you would shoot. I'm guessing you have never had a properly equipped long range rifle and shot with it to even 600 yards. Once you have experienced that you are going to move your limit out - a lot. If you recognize this before you do what you are going to do you may choose differently. So whatever you do (and buying a new Rem 700 LR is not a bad idea) keep that in mind. Also, factor a good muzzle brake into your plans ($200 installed). Depending on the cartridge you are shooting you can often spot your own shots with a brake not to mention it is a whole lot more fun working up a load.

mrbofus

I'd like to throw another thought at you that may effect what you decide to do.

You mentioned your personal 400 yard limit as the farthest you would shoot. I'm guessing you have never had a properly equipped long range rifle and shot with it to even 600 yards. Once you have experienced that you are going to move your limit out - a lot. If you recognize this before you do what you are going to do you may choose differently. So whatever you do (and buying a new Rem 700 LR is not a bad idea) keep that in mind. Also, factor a good muzzle brake into your plans ($200 installed). Depending on the cartridge you are shooting you can often spot your own shots with a brake not to mention it is a whole lot more fun working up a load.

Very well taken Sir, and yes, your statment in correct.
I do a lot of shooting in that 100-300yrd range and being an up close and personal archery hunter, I tend to use that same mind set in Rifle hunting, thinking I can always get closer even if it takes 1 hr to cover 100 yrds.
---just my personal hunting style---
Another piece of the puzzle, I do have a Rem 700-300 WM that has been worked a little and is a comfortable shooter, so If I do go LR it would probably be that rifle. (with a brake, pretty fun to shoot now)
I just have a soft spot for the old Rem 30.06 and am looking to put new life in her.

Yes I mentioned Douglas for the value from what I gather, better than stock but not top end. But opinions vary of course...

Thanks for all the Ideas and suggestions,. very helpful.
MB

Just got an email from Shaw. My gun is already done and shipped back. As stated this is just a fun gun. So I did a 6x45 barrel, and a know axiom stock. Total bill was under 600. I will try and post accuracy results in a week. If it works I will definitely use them again. When looking them up apparently they are not match grade but very good barrels. Also can't beat the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts