Thoughts on this please

Mike, Few know that the standard Forster Neck sizers will bump shoulders, and I am not talking about the neck sizers with the bushings!

Merry Christmas!
I have a lot of neck sizing die for different calibers. I'll have to chech that out to see if I can bump the shoulder back with those dies. The only thing is they are RCBS. I could cut the bottom of the die to change the seating of the shoulder. Or allow it to bump the shoulde back a couple of .001's or .002's.
I think it's going to be the 4th of July. Christmas is a later down the road or year. 🤣

It is a thing for sure. BELTED
cases mostly or more sensitive.

You just experiment with turns and settings on dies or with thickness of shell holder or both until you get shoulder bump only of .002 .

I had my dies turned down too much and was compressing the whole case body down onto the belt.
I can see that. You are going to compress the shoulder back, and that would create pressure on entire case, I believe, because the should would be pushed back some. Not much, but just the same it is pushing back on the case to the base.

In regards to the attached photos and the mask on the case. This is a once fired Peterson 7mmRM in a Browning x-bolt. It is not stretched to failure, at least I checked the inside for a groove using a paper clip and it's smooth all the way around. Rifle has had a case head separation and another that partially split, due too over sizing and loading too many times. That process had been remedied and the whole batch of cases are scrapped.

Question is has the chamber been damaged in that area, burned groove or carbon deposit possibly? Hunting rifle with not alot of shots going through it. How bad will this be for the cases if they are still used? The opposite side of case is clean and smooth.
I had a 300 wby mag do that exact ring and a TC Encore 7 mag as well. Everyone said headspace but gauges said otherwise. The 300 never separated at the web but the 7mag would separate their every third reload or so. Shot fine and brass always shook back out but eventually wound up selling both rifles. Only good stout handloads showed this issue not any factory fodder. I highly doubt it's a quality issue with Peterson.

Mike, some of the straightest cases you could ever measure with a dial indicator with case rotating in V blocks, the Forster die that has been honed out by Forster to the dia you want, will surpass any bushing die run out that I have checked. The bushing has to have enough clearance to get in and out of the die, so it cocks ever so slightly. Forester will only hone dies that are purchased from them, not sending in your own die.

A honed Forster neck and full length sizers are top drawer on getting some of the straightest ammo you can make.

Mike, some of the straightest cases you could ever measure with a dial indicator with case rotating in V blocks, the Forster die that has been honed out by Forster to the dia you want, will surpass any bushing die run out that I have checked. The bushing has to have enough clearance to get in and out of the die, so it cocks ever so slightly. Forester will only hone dies that are purchased from them, not sending in your own die.

A honed Forster neck and full length sizers are top drawer on getting some of the straightest ammo you can make.
Then I guess, I would need to send in a fire-formed case to get that done? Which isn't any really problem. I need my reloading shack built to do the work so I can do that.
Thanks again.

Looks like too much chamber pressure for the brass...the primers are flat, with an ejector mark and a sliver of brass over the flattened primer ..the case brass has a belt forming where the case head is unsupported. Drop the powder charge at least one grain maybe two grains and problem will go away, for this brass and your rifle.