Thoughts On Oregon & Washington As Hunting States

1 bull 1 cow. Hunting there this weekend with a friend who has a cow tag. We have been scouting and have seen many big bulls and large cows. As for the wolves and Cougars, I have yet to see any wolves in Colville Nation Forest but the cats are plentiful. Do you buy a cougar tag also? Most of the cats are taken by someone hunting something else. We just happen to see them walk out of the trees while glassing for bear, elk and deer.
I do. I always have a cat tag and bear tag. I suck at bear hunting. We ran in to wolves just east of Collville last October. We were following some elk tracks and the wolves were step for step and we found the wolves about 4 miles in.

I do. I always have a cat tag and bear tag. I suck at bear hunting. We ran in to wolves just east of Collville last October. We were following some elk tracks and the wolves were step for step and we found the wolves about 4 miles in.
Check your PM. I sent you a note for mule deer. I will send you anote on a better location that is farther out for elk.

Also a co worker drew a blues tag last year spent 28 days in the blues and ate the tag he saw 9 bulls and none of which were over 320. The blues used to produce 350 bulls all day long now? Not so much. Wolves and lions have taken over.
So he chose not to shoot one of the 9 because they didn't meet his standards? Or just not a good opportunity? Were they legal to shoot? There are elk all over it you look for them.

The point system doesn't guarantee anyone anything. Otherwise the guy who gets 2 tags in 8 years wouldn't happen if there were guys who had put in for 23 years and never got one.

If the OP moves to one of these states why be concerned with non res tags. Buy a resident OTC and go hunting.

PLEASE move to OR and register to vote. We need all the help we can get.

I'd take more crowds in the woods if the state could be flipped.

Trial begins today on Measure 114 regarding firearms and whether it violates the State Constitution. Measure passed by voter approved ballot and is supported by politicians to make firearm ownership restricted.

The 2024 election has a ballot to ban hunting or other activity that harms animals. May sound crazy but 114 sounded crazy too. They kept at it - some faith based leaders and gun control advocates pushed it - and got it approved.

Measure 110 decriminalized drugs. We have open air drug deals and people doing fentanyl in public.

We can blame politicians but the examples above are voter measures.
I wouldn't blame it all on the voters...it is the corrupt mail in voting. As has been said many times "It's not how you vote but who counts the vote".

I was born in the tacoma, wa area in 1959 and growing up there it was blue collar and really very good place to live except the winters are wet, it starts raining oct.20 and quits raining on the 5th of July. Salt water fishing is very good but you have to learn timing when the runs come in. Now the west side of the state has a tremendous homeless problem due to too many do gooders and most of the homeless are night crawlers, they sleep all day while you are working then about nightfall get up and do some dope and commence to stealing anything not bolted down. the crime is very bad . there is very good oppurtunity for competative shooting I used to be able to shoot highpower every weekend at a different range within 50 miles of my house. the hunting on the west side is miserable because it is a brush heap going 1 mile crosscountry will make you swear off hunting on the west side,there are however a fair ammount of blacktail deer and elk. The east side is beautifull, probably the most beautifull country I have seen but don't tell them you are a "coastie" as they are generally conservative and loose every election to the liberal west side. I always went to the east side to hunt and could generally always find a mule deer but few elk. opening day is crowded but the next day numbers are down 50% and the second weekend there are very few hunters. I moved to Idaho 7 years ago and can't stand to go back to the west side of Wa. Its a good place to be from. If you are conservative politically be prepared to loos every election and be prepared to be frustrated with the political climate. Oregon is very simular and the east side of Oregon is filled with sane people and has some very beautifull areas. Portland competes with Seattle for having the stupidest ideas politically and thats where all the people are. Also there is some beautifull coast lines in both states but the ocean beaches are very rairly warm , bring a coat

Sorry I forgot one important thing, traffic in the seattle area is beyond horrible, I doubt there is any time in the entire day or night you could travel down I-5 at posted speed limit for the whole trip from olympia to seattle, The last job I did near Tacoma was 15 miles from my home and if I quit work at 5 it would take 1 1/2 hours to get home and not relaxing hours, very stressfull hours, I would just work untill 7 then I could get home in 1/2 hour and I could get the job done quicker so I could leave the soviet state of Wa. and get moved to Idaho which is a very good place to live

Sorry I forgot one important thing, traffic in the seattle area is beyond horrible, I doubt there is any time in the entire day or night you could travel down I-5 at posted speed limit for the whole trip from olympia to seattle, The last job I did near Tacoma was 15 miles from my home and if I quit work at 5 it would take 1 1/2 hours to get home and not relaxing hours, very stressfull hours, I would just work untill 7 then I could get home in 1/2 hour and I could get the job done quicker so I could leave the soviet state of Wa. and get moved to Idaho which is a very good place to live
I lived in Chehalis but worked in Olympia and the traffic was about all I could take, and it was still nothing compared to Lakewood/Tacoma. Olympia is like a mini Seattle too. The homeless problem and crime are really bad, yet people keep voting the same way.

Sure can. Anytime is snows over there. 2 inches of snow is the end of the world for them.

We can blame politicians but the examples above are voter measures.

I sometimes wonder about some of the cr*p we see coming out of California, too, and wonder how in the heck can people actually vote that way.

When I have doubts about the integrity of an election, THAT's what comes to my mind.

I did that 38 years ago, and then 23 years ago relocated to a different part of the same state to get farther away from the things/people that I wished to avoid!

One shouldn't look at any one particular state as the absolute answer to your desires. Wyoming has a great deal to offer in some respects, but also some huge negatives …….namely Laramie, Albany, and Teton Counties. Those counties are rapidly changing to the negative geopolitically speaking! JMO memtb
Too bad it's so overpopulated. ;)

I don't want to seem exceedingly bleak to the OP. I just want to give my impressions after moving to Oregon. I moved here back in the early 2000's for the hunting/ fishing/ quieter life. I moved to the Bend area even though it was a larger city than I want and life was pretty good. But things started to drastically change ten years ago, the locals would say twenty years ago. Now I wouldn't consider moving back to Bend due to the regional politics, rise in homelessness, crime, and general disdain the state has towards hunting/ firearms. It might seem really good at first but the trend is set as of now.

Which is why the plan is to move where no one wants to move lol.
I was looking at the Kamchatka Peninsula several years ago. Low population, lots of animals and salmon. My wife was not in favor.

**** some of you cowards are no better than the immigrants flooding our southern borders instead of creating the world you want to see at home.