Thoughts On Oregon & Washington As Hunting States

The reality is the whole west is getting hit with people who are unfriendly towards the 2A and hunting. I just got a report from Sheridan WY getting inundated with those types. I've watched the same happen in Montana. And Idaho is at risk too. Anywhere where the land is cheaper and it's beautiful is at risk. I've been looking and moving since the 90's. The same has happened everywhere I've move to. Remote work has made it far worse.

I moved to Bend eight years ago and the population was around one hundred thousand if was a great place to live. Now it's up to two hundred thousand and the traffic is heavy and there's a lot of rude people. As for the deer hunting, about five years ago we had a severe snowstorm and they said that the deer herd was cut in half. As for elk private property is the way I had to go. The Deschutes has so many hikers and bicyclists that if you saw one you would be afraid to shoot. Also many of the seasons are 9 days long. If I had it to do again I'd probably move to Idaho.

Some parts of Idaho and Montana are rapidly taking a hard left turn! memtb
The bigger cities, ha, ha, that's a laugh as we really don't have any big cities but the ones where the Universities are are extremely Liberal and if it were up to them it would be the same as in Washington and Oregon. Thankfully Montana still has plenty of good old fashioned farmers, ranchers and outdoorsman spread out across the state to keep us Red. Unfortunatley the exodus from California is not helping our situation any. They move here saying they are tired of the BS in California then come here and try to change our way of life to what they just left.

PLEASE move to OR and register to vote. We need all the help we can get.

I'd take more crowds in the woods if the state could be flipped.

Trial begins today on Measure 114 regarding firearms and whether it violates the State Constitution. Measure passed by voter approved ballot and is supported by politicians to make firearm ownership restricted.

The 2024 election has a ballot to ban hunting or other activity that harms animals. May sound crazy but 114 sounded crazy too. They kept at it - some faith based leaders and gun control advocates pushed it - and got it approved.

Measure 110 decriminalized drugs. We have open air drug deals and people doing fentanyl in public.

We can blame politicians but the examples above are voter measures.

Last edited:
The bigger cities, ha, ha, that's a laugh as we really don't have any big cities but the ones where the Universities are are extremely Liberal and if it were up to them it would be the same as in Washington and Oregon. Thankfully Montana still has plenty of good old fashioned farmers, ranchers and outdoorsman spread out across the state to keep us Red. Unfortunatley the exodus from California is not helping our situation any. They move here saying they are tired of the BS in California then come here and try to change our way of life to what they just left.

For myself and by my standards, any city of 15K or more people…..is a large city! 😉 memtb

Trial begins today on Measure 114 regarding firearms and whether it violates the State Constitution. Measure passed by voter approved ballot and is supported by politicians to make firearm ownership restricted.

The 2024 election has a ballot to ban hunting or other activity that harms animals. May sound crazy but 114 sounded crazy too. They kept at it - some faith based leaders and control advocates pushed it - and got it approved.

Measure 110 decriminalized drugs. We have open air drug deals and people doing fentanyl in public.

What's crazy is look at Oregon and compare drug death to firearms deaths. Drug overdose deaths double that of firearms deaths. They don't care about lives, it's the optics.

The 2024 election has a ballot to ban hunting or other activity that harms animals. May sound crazy but 114 sounded crazy too. They kept at it - some faith based leaders and control advocates pushed it - and got it approved.

I won't be surprised if a lead ban push starts again. The president called for it on all federal lands. Get that and watch hunting dip deeper towards the decline. All part of the push to get rid of 2A rights imo.

The upside in OR news is that the last election for Governor was closer than many expected.

47% Democrat and 44% Republican.

Still weighing my options and whether we stay here much longer. At some point, there may not be anywhere to run to?
Me and a buddy of mine are in the same boat. Plus we both take care of our elderly parents. Once they are gone we'll be free to move on. Unfortunately I made a complete financial sacrifice taking care of mine. For me that was the lesser of two evils.

Idaho is full. Quickly turning purple. I never thought it would happen. Was run out of California in 94 because of politics and what I could see coming. It is here now. This time I think I will have to start pushing back. Getting too old to relocate. Feel sorry for my boys. I don't know where they will go?

Idaho is full. Quickly turning purple. I never thought it would happen. Was run out of California in 94 because of politics and what I could see coming. It is here now. This time I think I will have to start pushing back. Getting too old to relocate. Feel sorry for my boys. I don't know where they will go?

I feel your pain, my "blood" family lives in Louisiana …..no hope of having them get out of that "hellhole"! memtb

California should be a lesson for the rest of us who love the 2A, hunting, and fishing. California used to be a sportsman's mecca. Some of the best hunting and fishing was there. And California was a firearms mecca too. Weatherby, Sierra, US Optics, Barrett, and Berger all started down there. I used to walk into several surplus warehouses and pick through hundred, if not thousands of curio and relic. FAL kits by the hundreds. Many of the shooting sports competitions started there including those spurred by Jeff Cooper. I got to train with the likes of John Pride, Scott Reitz, and Gabe Suarez. I even read that California had more privately owned firearms than the Chinese military. That is why I am pretty hardlined when it comes to the 2A. I've seen all the angles and tricks the left uses to attack it. I spent decades going to rallies to support fishing rights, voted for 2A rights and conservative politics in California. The whole time listening to "It can't happen here, you're crazy". And then watched all my predictions come true down there. If you think it can't happen to your area just look at California.

Last edited:
I am thinking of moving West and finally got my wife on board. She wants to be somewhat close to the ocean (within 5 hours drive) so we agreed that Oregon or Washington would do (we wouldn't live in California). Unfortunately we have to be within 25 minutes drive of a JW Kingdom Hall as my wife is Jehovah Witness, but I think I can get that to work. Which state of the two has the best hunting culture? Which state has the most obtainable tags as a non-resident? Which state has the longest hunting seasons for rifle? I archery hunt as well, but rifle hunting is my passion. I know this is an elk hunting thread, but I am looking to hunt all big game with bolt action rifles (not AR's, not that I am opposed to that). Any crazy hunting laws I should be concerned of? I have really been looking around Bend, OR as it seems like a good mix of being close to high desert and dense Pacific North West forest. We love mountains and I also love to fish. Looking to cash out here on the East Coast and go all in on 40+ acres and a new home within the next couple years. Any suggestions, thoughts etc., would be appreciated. Thanks.
Burns is nice!!

Last edited: