Thoughts on a 1903-A3

steve smith

A question for the smiths.

I got a sporterized 1903-A3 with the original 2 grove barrel, that's just not shooting all that well any more. I've been considering whether or not to have it rebarreled in 30-06 or something different.

Here lately I've been pulling toward a .338 cal, and the more I think about it the more I lean toward the 338 Win mag.

I'm fully aware of all the modifications that will be require to go from a std case to mag case, opening of feed rails, as well as modifing the extractor.

I already have a Rem 700 in 30-06, so I'd like to use the A3-03 action for something different.

The rifle was made in June of 1943, S/N 3,7XX,XXX.

So, what are your thoughts? Yea or Nea?

Last edited:
steve,
as far as the action handling the pressure, i would say no problem. the 1903 springfield is basicly a "modified" 98 mauser. i've read about dangerous game rifles chambered in .458 win mag,458 lott. etc with 98 mauser as the action used. i have a "retired" 1000 yard benchrest rifle from williamsport sporting a 03 springfield chambered in 300win mag. this rifle still shoots very well. maybe not well enough to win mathces at williamsport, but good enough for lr hunting work. i'm no gunsmith, just my thoughts.jason

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.