Thoughts on 150 gr TTSX performance in 7mm WBY MAG

The bloodshot meat isn't as bad as you might fear….this year I shot a whitetail buck at 250-300 yards with a 75 grain hammer hunter leaving my 257 wby at 4150 feet per second. It exited too.
257 WBY has been on my "to do" list for a while; those velocities are mind numbing... Why did you want that buck so dead? 😄

I use the 145 LRX in my 7mm Weatherby. Great bullet, very accurate. Launches at 3345 ft/sec from my 26" tube with .75 MOA accuracy. Works great
Thanks. What's the COAL of that cartridge?
Twist in your barrel?
What ranges did you take game with it and any issues with stabilization at a distance? Keyholing on game?
Lots of questions. I might be back to ask for the load info, haha... I appreciate it.

94.5 rl25 is is what I load but does show pressure a Lil 95 was to much but I would start around 90
I would not use this load with any other bullet because barnes has good pressure relief I get right at half inch with sako my remington I shoot 160 partition just under 3500 with bout same group size but I own the 7 300 and 338 rum and it will only work with rl25 trust me I tried h1000 imr 4831 imr 7828 retumbo 4350 us869 some do ok but save your money rl25 way to go 225 338 rum 3400 180 accubond 300 rum 3400 easy no pressure

Thanks. What's the COAL of that cartridge?
Twist in your barrel?
What ranges did you take game with it and any issues with stabilization at a distance? Keyholing on game?
Lots of questions. I might be back to ask for the load info, haha... I appreciate it.
COAL---3.365
10 twist
Shot out to 415 yds no keyhole
145 LRX
74 grs Norma MRP
Weatherby case
Rem 9 1/2M
Vel: 3327 FT/SEC
.75 MOA at 100 yds-----1.2 MOA at 400 yds ( most likely me and my set-up )
As we all know a load that is safe in one rifle can be unsafe in another. So the standard 10% reduction and work back up is in order.

Last edited:
What velocities were you getting in your 7 STW with the partitions? 1000 yds is a lot of land to cover with this bullet. I limited my 160s to ~500 yds effective range; the only precision load I developed in my Mark V was only 3000 fps. Every partition I used before was effective, though. The thing is, I wanted to step away from lead, stretch the distance and target penetration on larger animals that Barnes bullets are known for.
3300 out of a 26" still delivering 1600fps at 1100yds with 160AB More than enough for expansion and penetration for me.

I use the 145 LRX in my 7mm Weatherby. Great bullet, very accurate. Launches at 3327 ft/sec from my 26" tube with .75 MOA accuracy. Works great
Second that. Plus LRX open more reliably at lower velocity than ttsx. It's designed for longer ranges after all. I would be leary of thinking a ttsx is going to open @ 700 with 1700-1800fps.

I was shooting a 140 Nosler in my & STW, but a deer ran about 100 yds. before piling up. I switched to the Swift Scirocco 150s and every deer hit was a DRT; no matter if it was 75yds or 350 yds. or where I hit it. I run them just under 3200fps. Expensive, but worth it; so I don't shoot mant targets with them. LOl.

My brother and I have killed a lot of deer with the 7 STW with 140g Nosler C/T bullet at 3550, deer did not run, if at all just a few yards.
I suppose that bullet makers can get different alloy's from the foundry, is the only explanation. 140g Nosler ballistic tips is all I shoot in my 7 mag at 3200 fps.

Plus LRX open more reliably at lower velocity than ttsx.
Why would that be? Barnes lists the expansion velocity of the 145 gr LRX at 1500 fps. It is IDENTICAL to a 150 gr TTSX. The only advantage here is a marginally better BC. I'd have to develop the load to see how fast I could launch them. The 145 LRX is also a bit lighter, which affects its ballistics. All in all, does this look like something worth pursuing for a marginal gain over the 150 gr TTSX?
Probably not... I don't think I could work it up to the same velocity that Cape is getting; mine is a 24" tube with over 1000 rounds on it.

I was shooting a 140 Nosler in my & STW, but a deer ran about 100 yds. before piling up. I switched to the Swift Scirocco 150s and every deer hit was a DRT; no matter if it was 75yds or 350 yds. or where I hit it. I run them just under 3200fps. Expensive, but worth it; so I don't shoot mant targets with them. LOl.
Thanks.
It's a very well constructed bullet, but I have no experience with Sciroccos. Expensive? Meh... 160 gr Accubonds cost more and these are my default for things within 500 yds, besides the copper bullets I've been using lately. Scirocco is basically a stouter Accubond, correct me if I'm wrong. I also have some OK loads developed with 154 gr Interbond (~3220 fps) for my 7mm WBY if anyone is interested. Similar construction, and they are cheap. Good, but not the highest precision.
Scirocco is a lead bullet though. If I go back to lead, it's an option.

If you don't shoot "man targets" at a distance first, how do you know what you will hit when it's time for it out there? 😄

Why would that be? Barnes lists the expansion velocity of the 145 gr LRX at 1500 fps. It is IDENTICAL to a 150 gr TTSX. The only advantage here is a marginally better BC. I'd have to develop the load to see how fast I could launch them. The 145 LRX is also a bit lighter, which affects its ballistics. All in all, does this look like something worth pursuing for a marginal gain over the 150 gr TTSX?
Probably not... I don't think I could work it up to the same velocity that Cape is getting; mine is a 24" tube with over 1000 rounds on it.

Seems like ttsx are designed for 1.5x diameter @ 1500fps vs 2x @ minimum 1700-1800fos is the difference. Lrx I believe are full diameter @1500fps. We're talking some pretty small differences for sure and I don't have first hand experience with either @ those velocities to verify. But everything I've read about ttsx is try to keep it @ 2000 for reliable expansion. This coming from shared experiences on various threads. Obviously other factors at play like where the animal is hit etc. I've been happy with 145 lrx in my 280 ackley but recently switched to 143 hammer hunter and it outperforms lrx significantly on game in my experience. Faster kills. I know it gets maligned for low BC though.