This happens with muzzleloaders a lot more than one thinks.

Bob Wright

So, one day me, my bro-in-law and a mutual friend were out scouting, then sighting in muzzle loaders for an upcoming hunt. We settled in for 100 yard shots, over a chrony, double checking stuff. My brother-in-law brings out his 45 cal Winchester front stuffer. Never shot it. New scope. Green as can be. But, he doesn't need training, suggestions or any of that stuff.
You know....
Me and the buddy pop off a few rounds and we're good. Bro-in-law shoots one. All good. Hits 2000 fps. Hits close to center. Shoots another. Gets scope cut by a double recoil. Blood running down the bridge of his nose. The target shows a center hit. Except, there is this weird diagonal slash going across target.
He goes to reload muzzle loader. Can't find his ramrod.
So we walk up to the 100 yard target. We figure the now missing ramrod is securely in the next county, except for the brass tip securely friction welded into the steel target frame. Never letting a crisis go to waste, I grabbed the target and framed it for infamy. Good times, good times....

Attachments

• 20210320_224647.jpg
    20210320_224647.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
A BR shooter that I occasionally ran into at our club had a similar experience with his heavy BR rifle. I think he was shooting a 6PPC. He had a case fail to extract and tapped it out with a brass rod. I guess he got distracted when viewing the removed case and left the brass rod in the bore.

Sad to say but he fired the next round and had a catastrophic event. Receiver blew and sent steel into his face. He was practicing alone at the time and didn't have anyone to help. Somehow he managed to get away from the range and to a medical facility. He eventually recovered from most of the injuries but lost his shooting eye.

Just a reminder of how bad things can quickly get if you are distracted when shooting.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts