Thermal clip on for spotting scopes

Rum and not the liquid

Hi all just getting ready to go for a hunt and I've looked over to my spotting scope and had a thought about clip on thermals.

Has anyone tried? I know the big end is too big but I'm sure there must be some that fit the eye relief end?

Cheers
Lucas

Hi all just getting ready to go for a hunt and I've looked over to my spotting scope and had a thought about clip on thermals.

Has anyone tried? I know the big end is too big but I'm sure there must be some that fit the eye relief end?

Cheers
Lucas
With a very high magnification range I'm not sure how well it would function. But I am very curious. Keep us informed.

There's been a couple of threads on this recently. What are you hunting and what are you hunting with

I am not familiar with the really expensive military grade ones but I have an AGM TC35 and the highest magnification recommended is 6x. I think the TC50 is 8x. Once you get above the highest recommended magnification you start seeing the pixels. You would also have a heck of a time finding a collar that would fit. If you have unlimited financial resources, you might find something. Depending on how much you have to spend, you would probably be better off getting a really good pair of thermal binoculars.

Anything that moves really. But generally it'll be red deer with my my 375
I didn't realize that you were down in New Zealand. And I don't know what your laws are, but where I hunt I'm not allowed to use a thermal to have my deer during the night. During the daylight hours I can buy a standard scope works better. When I hunt pigs at night this is my setup. My scope has to be at a low magnification to see clearly in the thermal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230405-080813.png
    Screenshot_20230405-080813.png
    553.6 KB · Views: 30
Your not allowed to use thermals on public land but we don't have game wardens like you guys do either so it's a case of if you don't get caught did it really happen. I do most of my hunting nowadays on private land so anything goes. Yes I find that mid morning through to evening is pretty average for thermals depending on the weather and landscape. I did wonder how the magnification of the thermal and the scope would work, much like a phone camera mount and a scope I'm picking.

That's a nice rig wish i could still use my ar's

Cheers
Lucas

Your not allowed to use thermals on public land but we don't have game wardens like you guys do either so it's a case of if you don't get caught did it really happen. I do most of my hunting nowadays on private land so anything goes. Yes I find that mid morning through to evening is pretty average for thermals depending on the weather and landscape. I did wonder how the magnification of the thermal and the scope would work, much like a phone camera mount and a scope I'm picking.

That's a nice rig wish i could still use my ar's

Cheers
Lucas
If I do any magnification with my setup it has to be done through the thermal but with all the thermals that I've used the magnification on them isn't great it kind of pixelates. And that's whether I've used the thermal with my setup or just ran nothing but a thermal.