fired-base.jpg

New case base ahead of belt, 0.516

new-base.jpg

Stuck case length

fired-length.jpg

New case length

new-length.jpg

Good pictures !

That was definitely a hot load. I thought you said the case head came off when actually the extractor came off the rim, Sorry.

From the looks of the case head and the rim, it was definitely to hot.
I would definitely check head space now. You can buy a head space gauge for $35.00 or $40.00 dollars and make sure you didn't set the bolt lugs back.

J E CUSTOM

Your case doesn't fit correctly into the barrel. You need to have a Gunsmith fix your chamber.

From left to right - chamber cast, new brass, normal fired, stuck case. Camera skews perspective, the shoulders and belts are lined up straight. The marks below the shoulder on the normal fired case are from the Lee trim die.

compared.jpg

Stuck case base close-up

affected-base.jpg

Fired brass from same batch and load

fired-normal.jpg

Last edited:
So how does the casting measure compared to the stuck case?
I was hoping that the casting would show clear into the lead as well.

a good discussion and great reminder of trimming necessity..... I for one (as a very new reloader) will be extra cautious of this... thanks...

The photo of new brass, with a measurement just above the belt is puzzling to me however... 0.516" would never fit in my chamber... my fired brass typically measure here at 0.512"-0.513".... Never have I seen new brass or factory unfired ammo with a measurement there at more than 0.507"-0.508".... Something else I will be looking out for too....

When I test fire the first round ever to be shot in a new barrel and chamber I Do it remotely and start with a moderate load and carefully inspect the fired case looking for any marks or anomalies compared to an unfired case. if everything is good, and the chamber is cut properly the case will look as good as new. I also take a loaded round and check to see if the bullet can be inserted into the case mouth of the first fired case. This will tell you if the trim length is insufficient causing the chamber to crimp the case mouth.

Next I fire a "near" max loaded cartridge, and again carefully inspect this case. If i don't see anything that looks troublesome, I clean and move on the the last and final proof test using a "Blue Pill" (One to two grains over listed max and if all is good I am finished. Note: I do expect to see some primer flattening and bolt lift stiffness but nothing like the damage you had because I worked up so I could spot a potential problem before It happens.

I don't recommend shooting any load without working up to avoid these kinds of problems irregardless of the cause. Pressure issues will show up many time before reaching max powder charges if we pay attention. One example of this was a friend that couldn't even load the minimum listed load without getting pressure in his 6.4 x 47 L.
After bore scoping the chamber, I found that the chamber had no lead or throat. My guess was that the chamber was cut with a roughing reamer or simply a incorrect finish reamer.

The best advice I can give is to work up "ANY" load and watch for any sign that could tell you you may have a problem. One can't be to careful when it comes to firearm safety.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.