The great "brake" debate...which works best?

Dan B

Recently myself and two friends ordered a set of three Remington Model 7's chambered in 7mm SAUM. Got them for a steal so we all jumped in!!

From the dealer they will next be going for muzzle brake's. The other fellas swear by the Vias style brake and are giving me flack for wanting a partition style brake w/o bottom ports...likely a Holland or Defensive Edge. The general consensus (at least from my reading) is that folks on here seem to like this style also over the radially ported brakes. Is this true? Is there any science as to why one works better than the others? Or is it all just by the "feel" of the shoulder?

Thanks.....

its by the feel in the shoulder and the feel of sand being blasted up in your face with the radial ported brakes.

I much prefer the baffel brakes to the Vias style and I've had both on the same gun.

Shawn's Brake is well made as is Kirby's , the holland is another one thats well made and has some ports on the top also. I personaly use SSG's V-port , I find it work very well and looks very destinctive

Shooting prone in the field is not a good thing with holes in the bottom of the brake in sandy or desert terrain, unless you like dirt blown in your face....

Shoot it first! My 7 in 7 SAUM, with 140 grain bullets, kicks less than my 7 in 308 with 150s !!!

Recently myself and two friends ordered a set of three Remington Model 7's chambered in 7mm SAUM. Got them for a steal so we all jumped in!!
From the dealer they will next be going for muzzle brake's. The other fellas swear by the Vias style brake and are giving me flack for wanting a partition style brake w/o bottom ports...likely a Holland or Defensive Edge. The general consensus (at least from my reading) is that folks on here seem to like this style also over the radially ported brakes. Is this true? Is there any science as to why one works better than the others? Or is it all just by the "feel" of the shoulder?

Thanks.....

Dan,
I have both styles.
When Steve (sscoyote) and I competed in the International Tactical Rifleman Championship, that Dave Lauck puts on, both of us had Vais brakes on our 6.5 XP's. I got so tired of having my optics, XP, not to mention myself so dirty becasue of getting dirt blown by the Vais. That three day comp made me a believer in the solid bottom brakes. Hope to do Lauck's comp again, but will use partition brakes for sure.

Mine work best

Hi my hand made breaks work best but I'm not making them commercially. I have given shawn and Kirby one for presents.
now my model7 in 7mm SAUM also has less recoil than my 308. The slower pwder realy helps with recoil reduction. but a solid bottom break is the ONLY way to go. get one of 308nate's SSG Vaporizer breaks they look awsome and the small one will be in proportion to your rifle.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thanks for the info.

I'm fully aware of the problems with using an open bottom brake near ground level. That is my purpose for wanting a partition style. They just don't understand that I guess. I was looking a the SSG brake earlier but did not see a price listed on the site. Anyone know how much they cost (not installed)? The one fella among the group buy is a 'smith and will be installing our brakes.

Regarding recoil and the M7...I have a M7 in 7-08. With 140's the recoil is fine but it does have a little pop to it. The more I shoot my LR and big bore handguns...the less I like rifle recoil!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.