The "Axiom" In Action

Joel Russo

Left behind two feet of snow and 10*, and headed south to TX to meet Chase for some work meetings and play/product testing time as well. Stopped in Hurst, TX at Alamo Precision Rifles, to see our friends and main distributor for our products. Always fun to see Robert and Jason... We took care of some business, then headed south to the gulf area.

Arrived at the condo on the gulf, courtesy of Chase, where we would work out of for the next few days.
Chase has access to a large ranch about 40 miles away, which was utilized for testing and some much needed varmint control.
We planned on doing product testing during the day, and hunting at night.
Had some equipment in our bag of tricks to even the playing field at night on these sneaky bastards.

The first night proved eventful as Chase took a coyote on the first stand using a gas gun equipped with Knights Armory PVS-30 night vision. Bang/flop to be precise.

The next stand I connected with a Bobcat at 175 yards using Pulsar Thermal...

Yep, this stuff proves to be a game changer.

Over the course of the next few nights, we called in coyotes, fox, and bobcats. Killed three bobcats and two coyotes, and did I mention a rather large cottonmouth during the daylight hours..

Testing went off without a hitch. We had our friends at Alamo Precision Rifles chamber a short barreled 6.5x47 Lapua on our Axiom. Chase did load development before the trip, and shot a few respectful groups out to 500 yards. The smallest to date was 1.58" three shot group at 500.
We set up a steel plate at 604 yards and Chase sent a few down range.. Shooting off the roof of the truck using a bipod and rear bag. We didn't have a dial caliper on hand to measure the group, but it looks to me like it would fall in below .5". Yes, that's a three shot group at 604 yards!
Testing of Axiom action, our bottom metal and mag done.

We ran out to Nichols Guns in Corpus Christi and met with Nick Tesh for a nice meet and greet, and product display. They are an up and coming custom shop.

No excursion of ours would be complete without eating good food.. We ate our share of oysters, shrimp cooked Sous-Vide, and smoked King fish..

And for the record... a Texas whitetail does not stand a chance against a new Ford F-350 diesel at 80 mph...

Attachments

• chasedog.JPG
    chasedog.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 65
  • cat.JPG
    cat.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 79
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 58
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 71
  • shooting.JPG
    shooting.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 59
  • snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 96
More Pics:

Attachments

• sous.jpg
    sous.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 71
  • king.jpg
    king.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 64
  • oysters.jpg
    oysters.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 70
  • shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 68
  • truck.JPG
    truck.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 56
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 68
Good stuff.....my next build will be on an axiom. Just got back from Bedford, PA and it was 62 degrees yesterday. What a difference a week makes....

Congrats on a successful trip, my next build will most likely be on the Axiom receiver, and I have several shooting buddies who are taking a hard look at this action as well.
Hope you enjoyed South Texas, I'm heading down south myself for the West Texas Big Cat contest this weekend.

We had our friends at Alamo Precision Rifles chamber a short barreled 6.5x47 Lapua on our Axiom. Chase did load development before the trip, and shot a few respectful groups out to 500 yards. The smallest to date was 1.58" three shot group at 500.

Joel,

I currently have a 6.5x47L short barrel (20") in the build stage right now. Could you share your load data and performance (especially muzzle velocity) and barrel length. I'm curious what I can expect to get out of mine - excluding the usual variances for build differences, etc. Thanks.

Joel,

I currently have a 6.5x47L short barrel (20") in the build stage right now. Could you share your load data and performance (especially muzzle velocity) and barrel length. I'm curious what I can expect to get out of mine - excluding the usual variances for build differences, etc. Thanks.

Ours is running a 20" barrel, 140 Hybrid, 40.2 VV N550, 2770 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.