The 30 Herrett did the job…pics and basic write up

I would say that both you and the Herrett did a mighty fine job
Thank you.

Im still kind of mumbling to myself about 1 thing. My 125gr Hornady SST blew up at ~2250 fps. That seems wrong to me. Entrance was small, lung and liver damage were reasonable, but I found bullet jacket chunks like 1/8th inch squares…2-3 just loose in the guts. I don't think it hit a rib. Shouldn't a hunting bullet be tougher considering I didn't hit a big bone?

The exit was small to ok size, but part of my tracking struggle was it didn't blow hair on the ground or blow blood out the exit that I could find. Missing those 2, I was half convinced I missed. Had he gone 100 yards through this rugged country, I don't thing foot prints alone would have been trackable. With no sign i would be forced to give up. I was lucky it was raining. More lucky it stopped while I gutted and hauled him out!

My theory is that SST expanded to full expansion, then kept expanding which seems to cause jacket shedding, core separation, etc. Basically expansion past maximum design intent. I'm guessing the bullet lose 1-3 petals and only about 70-90gr exited. Only thing recovered was jacket bits.

I'm choosing a soft bullet on purpose, to expand down to 1450fps.

Are there other theories I should be working with? What else could be happening. Anybody know what twist rate might be on this super 14 Contender in 30 Herrett?