That Dick, He's Always Thinking! - FAQ

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have been procrastinating on another important need for the site. And Dick has recently nudged me. Here is his email to me. His referred-to Word document is pasted in the first reply. Any thoughts on how to proceed???

*************************************​

Len:

I have noticed that a lot of people ask questions that have been asked before. I also know that a lot of people have problems using search and finding anything. This is not a function of the long range hunting web site but people's built in lack of knowing how to use a site properly.

I also know that we have a FAQ section but it is related to the site and how to use it etc. etc.

What would you think about having a FAQ section for forum related questions???

I have enclosed a word document with a small sample. Each of the bulleted items would be a clickable link to a predetermined search previously done that would get them the info they want without even having to know how to search. All they would have to do would be to click on the bulleted item of their choice and they would go to a pre-done search that would then show them all of the long range hunting related posts that pertain to the item they clicked on. A link to the FAQ section could be a sticky at the top of all main forums.

The extent of the sections and data available would be endless and up to your discretion if implemented. I know we have the archives but I'm thinking of things that would help newcomers as well as old timers get info quickly and easily. There would be those that use the new feature and those that would still use the search and archives.

I frequent an RV related forum where they do this and they update it periodically with new info etc. It gets a lot of use. I've enclosed a link so you can see what I'm talking about. The first shows the forum listing where there is a sticky at the top and the second shows what that sticky link gets you.

: Class A Motorhomes

: Class A Motorhomes: Class A Frequently Asked Questions Updated 11/02/2006

This is just a thought that crossed my feeble little mind and I thought I run it by you to see what you think.

Thanks

Dick Grimm
ss7mm

Last edited:
From Dick's Word document

Frequently asked forum related questions:

Reloading, loads, bullets etc.

• Where can I find load data online?
• Do you have load data for xxxx?
• Have you used xxxx bullets?
• Web sites for bullet mfg.
• Web sites for powder mfg.
• Web sites for brass
• Web sites for powder
• Web sites for surplus powder
• Web sites for reloading equipment
• Reloading press questions

Scope, spotting scope and binocular questions

• Good low priced scopes
• Best long range scopes
• Best spotting scopes for target and long range
• Best low priced spotting scopes
• Best binoculars
• Best low priced rings/mounts
• Best quality rings/mounts
• Web sited for scope, binocular and spotting scope mfg.

Gunsmith related questions

• Gunsmiths on this board that are recommended
• Gunsmiths that do coating
• Gunsmiths that do fluting etc.

Barrel mfg. recommendations and info

• Recommended barrel mfg.
• Pre chambered barrels
• Web sites for barrel mfg.

Stock related questions

• Recommended stock mfg.
• Laminated stocks
• Web sites for stock mfg.

Scope adjustment and sighting in questions

• What range do you zero you scope for
• Parallax adjustment questions
• Dial or hold over

Bipod and bags for field use questions

• Stock mounted bipod questions
• Rear bags for field use
• Web sites for bipod and bag mfg.

Front rest and rear bags for bench use

• What is best front rest
• What is best low priced front rest
• Rear bags
• Coaxial front rests
• Web sites for front rest and rear bag mfg.

Good idea.
No doubt it would take some work and updating from time to time.
The next question is, would our new folks use it, for the time and effort put into it?

Yup, ya sure can. I was doing some things on the back yard range and he was putting around not taking any risks. I jumped on the thing back wards behind him with only a poor single hand hold and bad balance. The other hand was full of shot bullets out of the back stop. A thread on that later.

Well the little turd:D took off like a bat out of hades, quite unusual for the conservative little fella, I was hollerin' whoa,,WHOA!!!! the little guy was deaf all of a sudden.

I lasted about 60 yards then piled up and flopped around like a landed trout.

I think I said some naughty words.;)

Regarding Dick's thoughts.

I spend about 40 hours a month, on the cuff BTW, doing narrow focus software product support. There are about 2 million users from little old ladies to male types who think they know everything. Its a mars - venus thing.

The list from Dick's .doc shows a very reasonable approach. The hard part is getting people to use it. Training, gentle direction, not coercion (sp?) should be considered.

Guys fall into a couple of categories three of which are aim-shoot, aim-aim-aim-aim-aim and maybe shoot (lurkers) then those that immediately shoot then aim. That is to say that the nature of a man will always be there:( thus the prob. will never disappear but can be minimized.

The trick is to minimize administrative overhead.

What Dick is suggesting is what could be defined as a "Knowledge Base" which is what you get when you question some web sites, or what the foreign person reads to you when you get a human on the phone.

It's quite fun, yeah right!

I'm bettin' a bunch of LRH nuts can do better than the industry in general.

Gotta run, I have a dedicated 4 hour shift of "customer support" woweee!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.