Testing Some Pic's from the ranch

Re: Testing Some Pic\'s from the ranch

oh, forgot to mention that in one of the feeder penns we had a hog break in last year. Just anchor the bottom part of the hog pannels down with 2' stakes and you should be fine.

Spino,

are you using the hog panals with the smaller squares on the one side? Just asking cause thats what it looks like in the pic. I use them but put the small squares on the bottom to keep those football sized ones from getting stuck up to their shoulders in the bigger wire.

Your spot on with the anchors as well, a little rebar works great. If they ever get their nose under it they are as good as in. As far as the cows go, I have picked up more than my share of cow'ed out feeders. The worst thing we ever had to deal with was angora goats. Those things could get hung up in that wire panel in ways that made you wonder what they were doing when they got hung.

ALso do you have a closer pic of that drop tine buck? If so could you shoot me a copy? I like to tease my daughter about her kicker buck, since she took it instead of the big one she was after. I told her " Man just think of how much better he would have been next year". LOL Course on our place, next year seldom comes for decent deer, so I am totally proud of the one she got herself. But ya got to gig the kids every once in a while or they think ya don't love em. LOL
MichelleDrop.jpg

It won't be long till that one of yours will be posing with her first one. Mine started out when she was 6, but we didn't get her first til she was 9. Sure does make for intersting talk with the boyfriends when they find out the girl can shoot better than they can. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a good season and get us a group shot of you and that drop tine.

Mike/Tx,

Here is closer shot of the drop tine from last year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he will have the drop again this year. Sometimes they don't have the drop again the next year. It was a very dry the first part of the summer too.. I'll keep you posted... Thanks for the picture of your daughers deer. I think we talked about it before? Here you go:

[image]
EaglesNest019.jpg
[/image]

Mike/Tx..

Check out the time of day... It pays to hang in there with patience... That deer feeder in the background has been changed and penned. The feeder later was knocked over by either cows or hogs & has reached it's final days. We found it fifty yards from that location. I think it was hogs.

Your totally right on the time thing, both of the daughter's best deer have come between 11:00am and 1:00pm. My best was just being in the right place at the right time about 30 minutes into the season. I also think that the deer sort of pattern the hunters almost as much as we do them.

On those feeder legs, the one in the picture has classic cow rub written all over it. I watched as a cow on a neighboring property decided to bring one down. It was very interesting and informative. They first try to remove the blockage keeping the corn in, which is generally the motor. When that works, your only changing out the motor and bracket. When they can't get to the motor, they resort to hitting the legs in an effort to shake the candy loose from the machine. Bad part is, once they learn this, every unpenned feeder is open game. If they hit one that is easily tipped over, they learn they all will fall over, and go about their routine of just knocking them down and rolling them till they spill.

In one week, I had three of them wrecked by the cows loosing two brand new motor in the process. The bad part was, the two with the motors, had locking lids, and they evidently really got into it once they found no corn would come out the top. Similar findings as you, some distance from where it was originally located. I guess they just kept pushing it around getting what little would spill out as it rolled.

I have started using either 1" or 1.5" galvanized conduit for legs. On them I install an anchor using one of two methods. I either weld a piece of 1/4x4" flatbar on the coupling, or use a 6" piece of 2x2 angle with a piece of 18" - 2' of rebar welded to the middle, and slid up the inside of the leg. The angle is inserted and buried in areas with soft ground, and the plates have a 1/2" hole in them to drive rebar through from the top, in harder ground.

This at least give you a solid footing and helps keep some critters from getting a leg moving and shoving them down.

For the connection to the barrels, I use 1/8"x4" flatbar cut about 9" long, with a 3/8" hole drilled 1" in, on each corner. THen weld a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" pipe 2' long to them, bent on about a 25 or 30 degree angle for the first 6". These are bolted using SS 3/8 bolts and fender washers on the inside. For the most part this hyas worked the best on the feeders we have put up over the past 10 years. Even a couple have been attacked by the cows have made it through. The ones which didn't just happened to be in some very wet ground similar to what we have now, and once they got them moving, they didn't stand a chance.

Speaking of feeders, I got a couple that require a little attention, and might even have a hog under them now.

Best go take a look. Take care.

spino well i took out the bobcat got some pics of it it would come out right after the feeder would go off and sit right by my tree stand and keep the deer from from coming in close enough for a shoot with my bow so i put a arrow though him whent up to the ranch fri afternoon since i had to work all weekend got there late almost 6 and jumped a bunch of deer on my way to the stand so all i saw was the bobcat afterwards. Im going to to pen up a couple of feeders i'll try and post pics this evening if i have problems with it maybe i can email; them to you and you can post them take care got to head to work now

Sounds like the bobcat was part of your local food chain for sure! Two preditors hunting the samer feeder - one has to go!! Amazing I have also seen deer come to the feeder & they just knew exactley what time it was going to go off.

I BET the bobcat had hunted the feeder more than you did?

Mike/Tx,

You know I don't think I answered you question correctley about the hog pannels. The smaller squares are on the bottom side. If you look @ the picture with the hog pannel - focus on the bottom right corner, there you can see the smaller squares. It's a little hard to see...

no i wish i had the ones we took with my camera came out to dark my brother took some with his digital cam hes going to email them to me when he gets out of work tonight was going to try and run to the ranch this afternoon when i got done with the work i was doing down at the police dept. putting in new carpet for them but to tired might go tomorrow sure would like to at least get a doe before archery season is over. time to start reloading some ammo if i have trouble with the pics i email them to you thanks

"Up before six this morning? I saw the time on your post. Did you see anything? The weather is turning cooler!"

Yep I am up every morning between 4:00 and 4:30'ish, even on the weekends. Sure is hard to have to sit around and wait on the sun to come up to get things done sometimes.

It was 42 at the farm yesterday morning. I took the truch and headed down to the top of the hill just behind the house. There was just too much dew to walk down there in flip flops. I parked sideways to allow me to look out over our back pasture and see two different feeders we have up.

As I got situated, a young yote comes out right up behind one of the feeders to the right side of the pasture, which is right at 450 yds from where I was sitting.

P1010036.jpg

I thought man this is going to be great, since I had just zeroed the .270 AM nd the 195's in at 500. Well by the time I had gotten that long barreled thing up and out of the window, got a round in it, then put on my ear muffs, the thing walks back into the woods.

I then noticed a doe walking along the back fence to the left and started watching her and out behind her through my binocs.

P1010037.jpg

I watched her working her way along, looking back every few yards or so and was hoping to catch a look at possibly one of the resident buck which might be following along. Well, she pops under the fence and when she did I pulled down the glasses and low and behold a big adult yote is slipping across right under my nose at the bottom of the hill. Only thing, he got behind some of the brush we have in the bottom and all I could see was bit's and pieces of him through the thick leaves and limbs. So yotes 2 me 0.

Thats fine though I will be back in the coming weekends and their day's are numbered. From the top of that hill I can cover a whole lot of that pasture, and from the woods to the right in the top pic, I can cover both of our bottom pastures completely. As for the hogs, well they came during the night, gobbled up all the corn and left without incident.

spino i emailed you pic of bobcat and of my son was trying to find the pic of the bobcat my boy shot with his henry single shot 22 last year when he was 9 he's been shooting a 243 this yr he loves guns wants to join the military when he turns 18

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.