Testing Some Pic's from the ranch

Re: Testing Some Pic\'s from the ranch

[image]
bobcat21.jpg
[/image]

Pic's from stxhunter -- the other preditor! Nice cat there!!

[image]
IM0003881.jpg
[/image]

stxhunter's future companion hunter..

"Looks like very fertil country. Do you plant food plots?"

Well we try. Most of it is topped with the typical sugar sand and grows the coastal great, the rest is red clay. We have the place leased to our neighbor for hay, so we don't really get too carried away. Mostly when we do plant it is either Iron and Clay peas or simply rye and oats. It depends on the rain. This year it was dry up till about three weeks ago so we simply put out some rye. For a good plot it takes about 2 tons of lime per acre, plus a copious amount of fertilizer. When all ya got to farm with is a 4 wheeler, it makes for a LOT of work, so you want things to be right when you do it.

In fact it has been so dry that the well has just about had it. While taking a shower Sunday, the pump sucked air, and I spent half the day pulling the suction hoses and adding to them. My mom lives there and we couldn't leave her with no water. We're hoping that with the 8" she has had over the past two weeks the water table will come back up some, and we won't have to drill a new one.

"Are you in East Texas?"

Well the place in the pic's is. I live in the H-town area. All of my kin folk are from the Palestine and Tucker area. Our family place isn't too far from town out towards Brushy Creek, but far enough that running back and fourth for parts takes at least an hour.

My mom lives on the place and we head up every chance we can. THe daughter and grandson live just a bit south of there so aren't to far from the place.

11pt that was photographed last year was on the decline this year. Probably due to the drought and old age here he is (If you go back to the first page of this post you will see this deer - he didn't have the split G2 this time though, notice the notch/cut in the left ear as well): [image]
IMG_0085-1.jpg
[/image]

[image]
IMG_0083.jpg
[/image]

Picture of a 3yr old 8pt.

IMG_0065.jpg

This guy was up early - photo taken with trail camera: [image]
Tower008.jpg
[/image]

Another nice one- photo take with trail camera:
Tower043.jpg

I've been out of the loop for awhile, but here is the biggest deer we took last year 2006-2007 season. I'll post some regular deer photos later. Nathan shot this deer @ 150yds. 12pt Scored 151" & was about 7 1/2yrs. 7Mag 140gr Accubond. We had a drought season last year.

NathansDeer007.jpg

Picture of a 3yr old - boy he was so beautiful and graceful. Something a little extra special about this guy.

EaglesNestCamera003.jpg

Here is a 5yr old. He need a little extra something on the horns. With the drought this year, I think he was short about 10" on the horns.

EaglesNestCamera047.jpg

THose are some nice ones for sure. We definately know what you mean on the drought and horns. Most of what we were hoping to see was fairly disappointing come fall. However, hopefully this year will be better. We did see thse that show some promise,

This young 8 point would come to within about 15 foot of the stand with my grandson and I in it. It is simply a two man bow stand we set up with one section of ladder to keep the hogs off him.
8-PointatStand.jpg

And this one I have had my eye on for several years, he should have hit 6 this year and hopefully will have the mass on him come fall. He managed to sprout some crab claws on the ends of his mains making him a nice looking 10pt.
10-Pasture002.jpg

stxhunter,

I was thinking about you guys when I was posting my pic's. Yes, tough year, but BOY what mother nature has in store for us this year---- is just a few months away. I was down @ the ranch a couple of weeks ago and all the black brush, Guajillo, Granhenia, Guayacan & Brasil were all sprouting new growth & flowers. With the continued rain into April(Magic Month)=(BIG HORNS) this year - I've got butterflies already. Here are a few pic's..

ReaganRanch3029.jpg

Here is a rattler from that weekend.

ReaganRanch3006.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.