Testing new loads, skip 100, go directly to 200 yds

slas

The longest range I currently have available to me for testing my loads is 200 yards. So, when I go to test my new loads I generally just set up at 200 yard mark and don't bother at all shooting at 100 yards. Is there any reason not to do this? What advantage would there be shooting at 100 yards knowing I'll just be moving out to 200 afterwards. If they don't shoot at 200 I'm moving on and not shooting up twice the reloads. I can see shooting at 100 for something like getting on paper if you put on a new scope or similar, but otherwise, I can't.

This came to mind as I was reading various post and noticed that when many posters put up a target touting a good load it seems the majority of them are at 100 yards. Thoughts? Am I missing something by skipping 100 yards? I also set my zero at 200 yards for hunting.

Look up the OCW load development method and see if that is something that you want to follow. With the limited range you have it is probably your best option. Be aware that if you develop loads at 100 yds and you intend to shoot at long range you need to make sure to shoot those loads at your maximum range. I have seen some sub 1/2 MOA loads at 100yds turn into MOA loads at 600.

Look up the OCW load development method and see if that is something that you want to follow. With the limited range you have it is probably your best option. Be aware that if you develop loads at 100 yds and you intend to shoot at long range you need to make sure to shoot those loads at your maximum range. I have seen some sub 1/2 MOA loads at 100yds turn into MOA loads at 600.
I have recently done some of the 10 round load development, http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/ , but do it at 200 yards. I've had some success finding good loads with it and in these days of scarcity....

I have recently done some of the 10 round load development, http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/ , but do it at 200 yards. I've had some success finding good loads with it and in these days of scarcity....
I have used that method before and it may work sometimes but It is not a guaranteed outcome. IME ES/SD is not the sole determining factor in an accurate load therefore selecting based solely on it can lead you to chasing your tail.

Am I missing something by skipping 100 yards? I also set my zero at 200 yards for hunting.
Generally speaking the only time I use 100 yards as a 'test distance' is for 'rough' seating depth and 'rough' OCW testing. After things are 'roughed in' I go to 200 yards (depending on the rifle and it's use) to finish the load.
Recently I switched from RL26/Berger 210's to H1000/Berger 215's in the .300 Win Mag. Did the initial seating depth test at 100 yards and then shot my charge ladder at 500 yards to see where the nodes were. I picked the middle of the upper node (77.2gr @ 2991 fps) and then went back to 200 yards to see how it grouped. Well under 1/2 moa at 200 yards. Waiting on more favorable conditions to return to 500 yards to see how it groups out there.

It's very nice that y'all can shoot at 300 and 400 and 500 yards, but that's kind of useless because the guy asking can't.

So to answer the actual question, if you only have 100 and 200, use whichever one you want, makes no difference. No need to shoot at 100 then 200 if you can hit the target at 200 from the start. If it's one range with two target locations it won't matter much.

A case where it could matter; my club has a 100 yard range with berms on each side, and a 200 yard range with only a 100 yard berm and 100 yards open to a cross wind certain days, so in that case the 100 yard range is wind sheltered and is easier to use on windy days.

It's very nice that y'all can shoot at 300 and 400 and 500 yards, but that's kind of useless because the guy asking can't.
With respect.....my post alluded to the fact that I use 100 yards very little and do 'most' of my work at 200 yards....just like the OP was inquiring about. I merely mentioned my 500 yard .300 Win Mag work to demonstrate that I actually shot that load at 200 yards (the OP's stated max range) also as part of the 'verification process'. There are many ways to skin a cat in the games we play here.

If you have your bench shooting form down utterly stone cold and can call flyers with absolute confidence then I can see possibly skipping 100 yards.
But if you have a Chronograph and use it to find a load with extremely small SD/ES as I and many others do and can continue load development from there I personally don't see any advantage to skipping 100 yards during load development

100 yds is like 3 shot groups, it sorts out the bad loads. I agree, wind would be the biggest factor, and maybe a shorter walk. I test much of mine at 100 because most of my hunting shots seldom go past that. My varmint loads I take out to 300. I also find low ES/SD doesn't always mean accuracy. It does mean start playing with seating depth

You can shoot 100 yd groups and get good loads if you have chrono and can measure ES AND SD. If you have a load that groups at 100 has single digit ES it's going to work at longer ranges as well.

Without a chrono the longer you can test at the better. If your goal is 600yds it's best to develop your load at same distance.

As for OP 200 is fine if that's what you got. I've done load work up at 100-200-300 all with good results. The closer you do your load work up means the more you will have to shoot at distance to confirm( no chrono). I prefer 300 seems to be a happy medium for me.

I use to to load development at both 100 and 200. Now I do not even bother worrying about distance. I load 6 rounds each at different powder charges. Then shoot over a chrono, all I am looking for is the best ES and SD once I find that I do seating depth test at given range to fine tune. Works great for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.