Test Yourself

Broken Brow

Ready to extend your range out past 40 yards? Let's see.

If picture below shows your:
10-inch pattern
40 yards
No wind
7-9-20115-33-21PM-1.jpg

What approximate crosswind speed at 45 yards will push your 10-inch pattern off the head/neck and into the wings like this below?
7-9-20115-32-35PM-1.jpg

If your shotgun is sighted in at 40 yards, what approximate yardage will push your 10-inch pattern off the head/neck down into the breast like this below?
7-9-20115-51-26PM.jpg

If your shotgun is sighted in a 40 yards, what approximate crosswind speed and yardage will push your 10-inch pattern off the head/neck into the legs like this below?
7-9-20115-50-23PM.jpg

One more. At what distance does your 20-inch pattern still have the density necessary to consistently produce clean kills? Ok, that is a trick question and I am going to give you the answer. You should never depend on your 20-inch pattern to consistently produce clean kills.

If you don't know all of the answers for your favorite load yet, keep shooting. There is still time to get ready before your fall hunt.

Last edited:
Well, I won't compare it to turkeys with a bow, but it does take some preparation.

The funny thing is shotguns have always worked this way, but as better equipment comes along, hunters are starting to discuss these issues. I guess that is a good thing, but it has been a little late in coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.