Penetration Testing Results

Broken Brow

Well, it was a pretty nice weekend, so I decided to do some shooting. I went to a local poultry distributor and got a case of turkey necks to do some penetration tests on the H-13 3.5" 2.25 7's. They are sold for dog food. A case of 25 ran me $18. As a side note, the muscle and bone structure of these farm turkey necks were pretty massive compared to a typical Eastern turkey. I would strongly suspect that the penetration on a wild tom (especially a wild jake), would be better than the numbers I was getting below.
I placed the necks at various distances from 40 to 65 yards. Estimating the penetration was a little subjective. I did not want to count the pellets that skimmed the edges of the neck. I tried to limit my count to the ones that passed through the thickest part of the neck. I found that the penetration varied from shot to shot.
I started at 40 yards to get a baseline since there has been a lot of success at that range or closer. I found about 53% of the shot exiting at 40 yards.
Next, I moved back to 50 yards. The penetration ranged from 45% to 49% of the shot exiting.
The patterns of most turkey guns have broken down at around 60 yards. The penetration was still 34% at that distance.
At 65 yards, I found around 22% exiting the neck. My wife was a necropsy tech in a past life, so I put her to work on the 65-yard necks. What we found was that even though only 22% of the pellets completely passed though, about 60% of the remaining pellets made it to the far side of the neck. Of those that were stopped on the near side of the neck, 1 was lodged in the bone, and 1 smashed into the bone and stopped.
It appears the H-13 7's can still reach and punch through bone at 65 yards. They should kill effectively as long as you are still getting a pattern density of 100 pellets in a 10-inch circle and have the densest part of the pattern centered on the neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.