My real world results VS Winchester claims

DartonJager

I came across these results at the Winchester ammunition website and figured I'd post my results as a direct comparison to those of Winchester.

Both are shot at 40 yards using the fallowing load:

Winchester Long Beard XR High Velocity 2oz of #5 shot

My gun is a Remington 870 Super Mag with a factory 24" barrel with a .665 choke. Correct me if I error but it would seam my results are if anything slightly better over all than Winchesters
My patterns results are:
227 #5 pellets in the 10" circle
27 #5 pellets in the 2" target dot

Winchester claims
170 #5's in the 10" circle
27 #5's in a 3" circle

I apologize for the poorly drawn 10" circle and nearly illegible writing. I didn't bother with a 15" circle and its only a 24"x24" target so 30" wasn't possible. All in all I have to say Winchester's advertised results with their LB/HD/HV turkey loads are not at all exaggerated.

Attachments

• WIN FAC LB XR HV 5s.jpg
    WIN FAC LB XR HV 5s.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 40yd WIN LBXR 20Z 5.JPG
    40yd WIN LBXR 20Z 5.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I bought and shot some longbeards just to see how they shot (I had already move to shooting a 20 ga).
I never counted the 10 but I would say that my 870 and yours are very close.

If I were going to hunt with lead, these are the shells I would be shooting.

I bought and shot some longbeards just to see how they shot (I had already move to shooting a 20 ga).
I never counted the 10 but I would say that my 870 and yours are very close.

If I were going to hunt with lead, these are the shells I would be shooting.
I guide for Osceola turkey here in FL. Have my hunters shoot for me before going out. Yes the long beard is where it's at for most. By that I mean guns are like women they are all different and don't always like the same things. Good luck

16F58FEC-8827-444F-80F9-0A319FD369DD.jpeg

Never counted but this target was at 35 yards with my 870 super mag. This bird would have got a ride in my vest for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.