Tents.....1 person or 2?

cell4soul

Like the title states, I am interested in what ya'll have to say about a 1 person vs. a 2 person tent? I have plans to go on my first "backpack" hunt in Wyoming this year. For the weight savings, I like the 1 person. I like the idea of sleeping with my hunting gear inside the tent and safe from the elements, which directs me to a 2 person tent. So, what are you guys using and why?

Thanks in advance.

Ultra light 2 man.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Platinum.

I was looking at the Big Agnes line and notice you sell them on your site. I hope to pull the trigger on a new sleeping bag, pad and tent within the next 2 months. Still recovering financially from a custom lightweight rifle build.

I set up 2-3 different models in my yard and took them back because of the mesh on the top. Too much. We got caught in a snow storm last year in Sept.
I too like the idea of my equipment in out of the weather. I settled on a
B A Slater UL 3+ Person. The two person would do just fine for one.

Another BA fan. UL2 is really a one man hunt. Lol. I used it on some solo hunts. But after a 7 day hunt with 2 upgraded to the UL3. As a 2 man tent. Some gear can go in. But packs still go outside

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. I will be sleeping solo, so I am leaning towards a 2 person after this feedback. I definitely want my gear, including pack, in the tent with me. Weather is way to unpredictable in Wyoming during the early fall hunts.

If you want to put your gear in the tent, then you will not be happy with a 1p tent.

I did my first solo backpack hunt last season with a 1p. Although I liked the lightweight aspect, I didn't like the lack of room inside. I was able to put my pack and gun under then small entrance vestibule, but if it was to rain I don't know if it would have gotten wet.
I just sold it and am in a market for a 2p. My thought is to get a 2p and make a LW tarp that I can bring along if I hunt with another person so we can have more room.
BA is at the top of my list, but I'm also looking at Nemo. Love their sleeping bag.

I set up 2-3 different models in my yard and took them back because of the mesh on the top. Too much. We got caught in a snow storm last year in Sept.
I too like the idea of my equipment in out of the weather. I settled on a
B A Slater UL 3+ Person. The two person would do just fine for one.

Good advice.
In my opinion, you need to prepare for snow/cold any time you backpack into the high country.
For me, that includes having a tent that is both big enough for me and my gear, and designed to handle any weather.
Yes, it's heavy but when you're in the back country having the right equipment can not only make the trip better but can also be vital to survival.

I use a 1 person Tarptent Moment DW (ripstop inner tent option). With 2 doors and 2 vestibules it is fine for me and my gear.

My pack and boots are in the "back door" vestibule. My scoped rifle is inside the tent (regardless of the tent).
If absolutely necessary I can cook inside the "front door" vestibule with canister or white gas (or even ESBIT in my Trail Designs Sidewinder).

This indoor cooking in foul weather is mainly B/C the Moment DW has the provision to slide the floor back away from the door and hold it in place. But this kind of cooking requires I ventilate the ends, top vents and even the "back door" as much as possible and keep cook times to less than 10 minutes.

I've WINTERIZED my Moment DW with 4 fly hem stake loops (now standard on all Moment DWs) and a shortened optional crossing pole run under the fly. This is for better support against high winds and heavy snow load. Go to the "Backpacking Light" site, search for "The Tarptent Thread" and see my photos in the 1st post.

Finally, I recommend everyone using a tent make up guy lines ahead of time for fast deployment when a storm suddenly blows in. I like LineLoc plastic tensioners and Triptease and MSR reflective guy lines. Triptease comes in yellow and MSR in red. This is good for color coding for side and end guy lines - good to have at Zero Dark Thirty in the rain. If your tent needs more guy-out points than provided by the factory now is the time to sew them on (and seam seal them).

And get your hose out and test the heck out of your tent for water proofness. Don't ask how I know... :eek:(

Eric B.

We were stuck in our tents for over 24 hrs. 8" of wet snow was causing difficulty with staying dry, drying clothing, cooking... A little bigger tent helped. My boy had a 3 man that had a lot of mesh on the top. He had more trouble staying warm because on the heat venting out, than I did with a full solid dome. I set up the UL's. Too much vent for me.

wyowin.,

I like a bit more venting to let my sleeping bag and clothes dry or at least stay a bit drier than they would be in a poorly vented tent.

I have an old Eureka 3 man dome tent with no ceiling venting (mesh) and it does get damp inside the Eureka tent compared to my "3 1/2" person Tarptent Scarp 2 with mesh in the ceiling. Plus the TT Scarp 2 and my TT Moment DW solo tent(also mesh in the ceiling) have fly vents on the fly "roof" to take advantage of the mesh top of the inner tent. These vents are closable with Velcro strips in case of severe weather. Plus there are closable floor level vents and door venting on both sides of my Tarptent one and two person tents.

To me drier is better, especially in winter.

Eric B.

wyowin.,

I like a bit more venting to let my sleeping bag and clothes dry or at least stay a bit drier than they would be in a poorly vented tent.

I have an old Eureka 3 man dome tent with no ceiling venting (mesh) and it does get damp inside the Eureka tent compared to my "3 1/2" person Tarptent Scarp 2 with mesh in the ceiling. Plus the TT Scarp 2 and my TT Moment DW solo tent(also mesh in the ceiling) have fly vents on the fly "roof" to take advantage of the mesh top of the inner tent. These vents are closable with Velcro strips in case of severe weather. Plus there are closable floor level vents and door venting on both sides of my Tarptent one and two person tents.

To me drier is better, especially in winter.

Eric B.

Dryer is better. On that trip there was no dry for a few days. The fly on his tent allowed wind and snow to blow in, to an extent. That means heat went out. Your closable vents sounds good. We didn't have that. Thanks for the info. My bot still has not upgraded yet. Looked up your Scarp 2. Nice tent.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.