teflon,kg,gun coatings last against abrasion?

slg888

Having a rifle built and deciding between a mild oil glass bead finish, or the color coatings available. Question is.... 1. how tough are these coatings i see on some of your guns? 2. If I rested my rifle barrel on metal part of treestand and fired, will it scratch off the coating? rifle falls over on a rock & hits barell? Will this stuff hold up? any comments will help my decision, thanks.

I have a teflon coated weatherby and the stuff wears off on the edges and corners, kinda like blueing wears. I have hunted with the gun on and off for about 6 years.

I have duracoated a couple of my guns but have only been on a couple outings with them. My 300 Rum is holding up real well, the only area that it is currently wearing is on the edge of the first brake port. The gas has cut about a 1/16" line down the edge of the port. I did touch up the barrel where it had took a hit from a rock while slung upside down over my back, when I was in the mountains. I have had no problems with duracoat chipping or flaking, but if somthing hard and sharp rubs it with pressure it will scrape.

I picked up a lab oven in December, that is big enough for barreled actions, so I will be trying Ceracoat in the future.

The basic rule of thumb I tell customers is; if the object contacting the rifle will scratch the barrel steel it will mark the coating. So try avoid strumming barb wire with your barrel, or pounding in fence post, or draging your gun over rocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.