tc pro hunter 20 ga

gargs71

what do you recamend for sabot slug in a tc pro hunter 20 ga with the price of slugs i need a starting point

I use a TC 20ga and have had great results with Hornady SST 20ga 2 3/4 " or Federal Barnes Expander 3". I have made kill shots out to 184 yards with the Hornady's on whitetails. The Hornady load shoots 1" at 100 yards, this would be my choice. Hope this helps.:D

I have the 20 ga encore and mine likes the 3" Fed Premium Barnes tipped expanders. I am getting 1.5 groups (3 shots) at 100 and they are 14" low at 200.

Honestly, I would buy some standard Win 2 3/4 slugs at Walmart ($9 box of 15) just to sight it in and get it on paper first.

buy one box of the Fed and the Hornady SSTs, shoot 2 and see if you can get a group then then site in with the remaining 3 if they shoot good.

I have seen guns shoot 8-10" groups with one slug and then hammer with the next one.

BH

It is expensive shooting these premium slugs and that's good advise. What I do is shoot my first two shots at 50 yrds on a 1 inch grided target then make a adjustment according to the scope turret adjustments ( 1/4" at 100yards will be 1/8" at 50 yards) then move back to 100 and fire two more.

If your shooting from a solid rest it should only take a couple of more shots to get whatever zero one should desire. Nothing substitutes practice , plan to shoot a couple of five round boxes a year, make ethical shots, everybody is watching us.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.