Tally rings any good?

I have not used them on a long range rig but I do use them on my large cal dangerous game guns. They are very strong and they always stay in place. I love them. There might be better ones for long range uses that I have no experience with.

They are a PITA to lap and if you don't believe they need to be I can show you 2 high dollar scopes with dented tubes.

I had issues with a wandering zero and recently replaced two sets for the Nightforce direct mounts. All is well again.

I've also twisted off the heads of the cross/clamp screws (with a torque wrench I might add) more times than I care to admit.

Talley's customer service is top notch and there is something to be said for that. Good product but I don't believe they are ideal for big scopes on violent recoiling rifles.

Guess I should clarify I used their one piece rings and base combo. They were tougher than Burris rings to lap in. I can't speak to any of their other products.

Talley one piece ring and base are as good as it gets for an affordable scope mounting system. I have them on two of my rifles. If they are good enough for Weatherby and NightForce to put in their paperwork they have to be good. Bill Maylor.

The ones I've seen aren't a precise glove fit aroung the scope tubes. They seem to be designed to flex a bit to fit to the scope tube, which is probably why some are saying they're a bear to lap in.

A good lightweight ring all in all, but I wouldn't overtighten them because they aren't a glove fit.

Last edited:
If they are good enough for Weatherby and NightForce to put in their paperwork they have to be good.

Please explain as this make absolutely no sense to me. Why would NF suggest using Talley rings when they make their own that is a brute tough piece of machining beauty.

MagMan, I would never misslead anyone. Ihave a NightForce NXS and in the owner's manual page# 7 (if we do not offer a ring/base combination that is compatible with your firearm, please consider using Talley Mfg. or Warne products.) I have had good results using Talley. Bill Maylor.

Bill, I have read through the NF manual and obviously I either missed that part or it never sunk in. Thanks for the clarification.

MagMan, I know you take your optics very seriously, as I do. I am sure the NF mounting system is made to their tightest spects, and they sure look good, but they cost as much as some scopes.If they did not cost that much I would have them on my RUM. I recon time will tell if the Talley's will hold true. Bill Maylor.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.