Talley one piece- My lapping experience

For Sully2,

These are not quite bug holes, but this is a hunting rifle shot with a bipod and rear bag, not a 40lb. Bench gun with adjustable steady rest front and rear. These groups are my first load work ups shot at 100. Lower left is Barnes 120TTSX, lower right is Berger 130VLD, upper right is 140VLD, upper left is 140 Amax, and center is Nosler 140 Accubond. The silver circles are called fliers. I feel confident that 130vld load is capable of bug holes with a little tweaking if I do my part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 90
For Sully2,

These are not quite bug holes, but this is a hunting rifle shot with a bipod and rear bag, not a 40lb. Bench gun with adjustable steady rest front and rear. These groups are my first load work ups shot at 100. Lower left is Barnes 120TTSX, lower right is Berger 130VLD, upper right is 140VLD, upper left is 140 Amax, and center is Nosler 140 Accubond. The silver circles are called fliers. I feel confident that 130vld load is capable of bug holes with a little tweaking if I do my part.

My groups tightened up when I went to bags instead of bipods. And factory loaded .260 ammo...I havent gotten around to handloading any 260 ammo yet.....spending time working on 25-06AI casings.

I use Talley 2 piece rings on my Stiller 22-250. On my 260 I use a EGW rail and Leupold QD rings

My groups tightened up when I went to bags instead of bipods. And factory loaded .260 ammo...I havent gotten around to handloading any 260 ammo yet.....spending time working on 25-06AI casings.

I use Talley 2 piece rings on my Stiller 22-250. On my 260 I use a EGW rail and Leupold QD rings

I have an EGW rail with TPS rings on my other .260. I wanted to get this scope as low as possible and the medium Talleys were perfect for the 50mm.

I have never lapped my scope rings but, have often thought about it. My question is...How did you determine that you had lapped the rings enough? I had a buddy in Wyoming that lapped his rings until his scope moved freely back and forth without any rough dragging sounds. Just a smooth sound when the scope was moved back and forth. We then went to the range to sight in and he couldn't sight in! We finally discovered that the scope was moving with every shot, (300 Win.) Try as he might he couldn't tighten the screws enough to lock down the scope. Of course he had overdone it on the lapping. Thus is my question...How does a person know when enough is enough?

I have never lapped my scope rings but, have often thought about it. My question is...How did you determine that you had lapped the rings enough? I had a buddy in Wyoming that lapped his rings until his scope moved freely back and forth without any rough dragging sounds. Just a smooth sound when the scope was moved back and forth. We then went to the range to sight in and he couldn't sight in! We finally discovered that the scope was moving with every shot, (300 Win.) Try as he might he couldn't tighten the screws enough to lock down the scope. Of course he had overdone it on the lapping. Thus is my question...How does a person know when enough is enough?

Every time that I would check my progress , I also rocked the upper halves of the rings side to side to make sure the gap was sufficient to lock down the scope. I knew I was good when the lap bar didn't loosen up much after making a few strokes. Visually, I also felt that I had reached 80% contact surface which is the rule of thumb from what I read.

Like he said...I try to get 75%-80% contact. so if you have about 75-80% silver instead of black that should be your contact area. To get the talleys loose on a scope either the scope would be under sized or you spent several days lapping your rings :D. They have a pretty large gap in them when torqued properly so not to worry about taking out too much material. Also as long as you leave 20-25% of the black surface you will be fine.

I never lap the top halves though always was afraid of pulling the threads out of the bottoms since they are screwed into aluminum. But that doesn't mean I am right and others are wrong, just how I do it.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.