Tactical Ordinance Rifles

Dave King

Just received my latest Tac-Ord rifle...a 6.5 x 284 Norma. 28 inch PacNor barrel, straight taper to .900 at the muzzle and fluted, Rem 700 Long Action (C" series), H-S Precision PST-05A (Army M24 style - adjustable LOP) stock. http://www.hsprecision.com/pst03a.htm

I've had a bunch of Tac-Ord rifles over the years and I am often amazed with the delivered accuracy of these rifles. Most of the rifles I've had built were in 308 Win (some using the 7.62 NATO reamer) or 300 Win Mag. Many of these rifles shoot sub .25 MOA and I don't believe I've had any that were over .5 MOA with a proper load.

The latest one, arrived yesterday... I rushed to get a load built so I could christen it with a dep. deer. I threw 10 rounds together with 51 grains of H4831, Lapua brass, 142 Sierra MK, Fed 210M's, uniformed the primer pocket and crammed them together to 3.060 OAL with the Wilson dies.

Torgued the action screws to 65 inch pound, installed the Badger base and rings, stuck a Horus Vision 4x16 H2 reticle scope on and headed out to line-her-up off the bipod and sand-sock. I bore sighted and hit about 4 inches low and 2 inches left at 100 yards, corrected 4.25 MOA up and 2 MOA right. Fired a round in the general direction of a 1" orange paster, nicked the top right side of the paster...adjusted down .25 MOA and left .25 MOA... 3 rounds for a group before killing a deer I thought. Those 3 rounds printed on that paster in a 0.167 center-to-center group (these were the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds out of that new rifle). The 6th round out of that rifle gave us another set of measurement for whitetail deer!

There is one thing I don't like about these rifles; I feel the need to buy another one.

Cool story....no barrel break in???
smile.gif

S1

Barrel break-in??? What's that?

I push a cleaning patch through it when I get it...shoot it until I think it needs cleaning...clean it again....

Once the barrel maker puts those twisty things inside it's broke-in...I figure it's my job to shoot those things back out.

S1

Anytime you need help just speak up...I have broad shoulders (but not a size 2 whitehat).
smile.gif

[ 07-05-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Dave .....Is that the same argument you made to your wife on your wedding night?....

P.S Len is right about you stirrin it up, I feel like a great burden has been lifted off my shoulders now that your back.

Took that Tac-Ord rifle out today for a 300 yard data test and grouping...

3.5 MOA come-up from 100 yard zero (~66% of the standard 308 Win come-up). 3 shot group was (I'm gloating a bit!)... 0.710 center-to-center for 0.237 MOA (In a wind!! (not a big wind but it was still wind))

3 shot group sceptics see below:

(Yes I know... a 3 shot group isn't worth a hill of beans!! Well... how about a 3 shot group that is bad, would it be considered valid? Give someone a rifle and have it shoot a 5 MOA three (3) shot group and see if a 5 shot group will help that!)

Dave,
That's an awesome shooting rifle you have there, congratulations. I thought my .750" group I shot today was pretty good but yours beat it. I like to shoot 3 shot groups also as the barrel heats up pretty quick when you're burning 90-100grs of powder and time is a consideration.
Also, I was wondering about copper fouling, have you found that yours fouls much? My rifle has a PacNor barrel also and even after 50rds with proper breakin it still seems to foul more than my Kreiger or Obermeyer barreled rifles, even my PSS 308.
Keep up the great shooting and please keep us posted.
Wayne

[ 07-06-2003: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

Wayne McD

My 338 RUM barrel (a polygonal PacNor) copper fouled a lot in the beginning but most other PacNor barrels I've had seem normal in that regard.

I haven't cleaned this barrel yet, 16 rounds through it...I'll clean it when I reload this Lapua brass. Currently the brass is unfired and I'll want to check trajectory data, speed and grouping with a clean(er) barrel).

Dave,
Thanks for the info, hopefully after 100rds or so it'll quick fouling so bad.
Wayne

About 5 patches of JB Bore paste and two of Bore Brite has reduced the fouling in several barrels. We tested the internal finish of many barrel makers a few years ago, a list from best to not as good starts like this:

Lilja

Obermeyer

Krieger

Hart

K&P

Shilen

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.