T/C Encore Pro Hunter for long range?

pockets380

Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys if you think this rifle would work out to a 1000 yards. Either a 7mm mag or more likely a 300 win mag. It would be for deer and elk. Anyone have any experience with the gun at long range? I know it's not the "ideal bolt action rig." It is light weight with a 28in barrel. I was thinking it might make a good packing rifle. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I have been thinking the exact same thing! I have been using a pro-hunter muzzleloader and am too considering a 300 win mag barrel. The only drawback could be the lack of a sloped MOA base but most scopes should have enough internal adjustment to make it to 1000 yds.

I'll be interested in any real world experiences.

I, have a 7mm STW pro hunter with a MGM 28" barrel that I have shot to 1200 yds with a SS 5x20x50 scope.

Jim:):)

I am also interested in any real world experience here, I'm considereing an MGM barrel in either 280 ackley or 30.06 ackley! I have a couple of ammo cans full of 30.06 military brass!

Well I went through and did a search and it sounds to me that the encore is capable, out to 500 to 600 with out to much trouble! I mainly wanting your input as far as which of the above calibers would be best, I am kinda lean towards the 30.06 ackley mostly because I would have a greater bullet selection. Does anyone have 30.06 ackley and what is your experience? Also what barrel length and twist should I go with?

Last edited:
I am in the process of building the very same thing in 300 win mag. I had a 4 port Muscle brake installed & a trigger job by a local gun smith. Got it to a crisp 2.5 lbs. Replaced the original stock with a laminated maple one from Stocky's. All my Win brass is fully preped & primed, awaiting h1000 powder & Hornady 208 Amax's. Will start loading test lots this week end. I did shoot this barrel before I decided to put a little money into it with some factory ammo. Cheep Remington core-lokt 180's shot awesome! .385 @100 yds & .780 @ 200 yds, both 3 shot groups. Hornady Superformance SST 180's chrono'd @ 3212 for the average. 3224 for the highest & 3197 the slowest ES 27. They grouped @ .890 for 3 shots @ 100 yds. Still real respectable. Going to send out the barrel & have it cryo'd this week. Should be ready to test my loads the following week end. Hoping the muzzel brake & heavier stock make a difference on recoil. :)

After looking at the TC, I like the CVA Apex better (and I'm about to buy one) BTW.

I'll get the 50 smoke pole and a switch barrel in most likely a 308 or 30-06 as a backup rifle.

The Apex has better ergo's than the TC which is pistol based and the Apex has better barrels (IMO) at a lesser price than the TC, plus all the switch barrels come with a scope rail already mounted. The TC's have no rail.

Take a look at Bellm TC web site. He has lots of info and products you can purchase to redo the triger, hinge pins and springs to tighten the action up. The trigerr job is fairly easy. I have a 7 mag and it does very well for the range I can shoot. I also added the Thumphole Stocky's stock and my grandson can shoot it at 8 years old from a lead sled. Dave

Cheap way to do it is find the 7-08 28" barrels when they are on sale and ream it to 280 ackley. Good velocity and performance in as short overall length.

Or start with a 308 and ream it to 30-06 improved.

I think the OP's original question had to do with a 1,000 yard TC.

You're recommendation is to cut up a perfectly good 7-08 and recommend a 308?

I guess some one needs to explain this to me...:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.