Supporting the QuickLoad + QuickDesign maker

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Yes, QL comes on CD/DVD. Updates and patches are far less expensive than the initial software. I recently purchased an update disk for mine and total cost was around $20.

It is a misconception to think of QL as only useful for wildcats. Published load data is essentially based on an "average of averages" approach. It will get you in the ballpark, but that's about it. Understand also, that published data is only reliable if you use the listed components and dimensions. For instance, loading to a different OAL, which most of us do, can have a significant effect on case capacity and dramatically change how a combination of components will behave.

Another important advantage with QL is the ability to model behavior of different powder and bullet combinations for which there is no published data. That capability is useful in improving the performace of some cartridges and in selecting components. Being able to model different component combinations can also be helpful in finding suitable substitutes during component shortages.

Until you actually use it, along with a good chronograph, it is difficult to truly grasp how useful it actually is. QL has dramatically changed my understanding of handloading. Using it has been an eye-opening experience.

So why didn't you ask the OP in the Quickload request to post his case capacity instead of posting bad information with the incorrect velocity and chamber pressures.

The problem with the Internet is we have too many midgets sitting at their computers pretending to be giants.

Personal attacks. Good for you.

I've got my popcorn waiting for your next brilliant rant. Wipe the spittle from your mouth first. You look like a maniac.

It is a misconception to think of QL as only useful for wildcats. Published load data is essentially based on an "average of averages" approach. It will get you in the ballpark, but that's about it. Understand also, that published data is only reliable if you use the listed components and dimensions. For instance, loading to a different OAL, which most of us do, can have a significant effect on case capacity and dramatically change how a combination of components will behave.
Well said.
On the wildcat point, that's the purpose of QuickDesign and the interface between it and QL. Works very well.
Not mud slinging at all as on this site I'm a new guy.
....but... I really don't know how in this day of many many powder, case, bullet, chamber, and barrel lengths or combinations you could be comfortable reloading without some kind of way to analyze what you are actually seeing with each load. Manuals are a help and a nice start but simply cannot allow for powder lot variations and the other variables. A chrono of some type is in my opinion, the minimum, and truthfully wholly inadequate by itself to tell you all you should know. A pressure trace of some sort is invaluable also. (The old "looking for pressure signs " methods can allow for some dangerous possibilities and potentially catastrophic results) An example of this is wildcats (a personal weakness of mine). The AI cartridges simply do not show pressure signs in the same manner or at the same levels SAAMI cartridges do. They frequently don't show until around 70k or higher. That's spooky unless you have a way to measure it.
As you can probably tell, I am a QuickLoad and QuickDesign fan. Do they require some study? Yep. Work? Yep. But so does anything else worthwhile. I doubt you took out your first rifle, fired it and saw MOA or better. It required some additional knowledge and work is my point. Good stuff frequently isn't simple or easy.
I simply cannot believe on a fine site like this that a program or two that cost less than a scope on your rifle are considered expensive.
If you don't like computers then fine. Or if you're just cheap, that's fine too. Or if you've been reloading since Moby Dick was a minnow, fine. Don't buy them. In the end, it's your rifle, ammo, money and time. But respect the ability of others to make that same decision.

Well said.
On the wildcat point, that's the purpose of QuickDesign and the interface between it and QL. Works very well.
Not mud slinging at all as on this site I'm a new guy.
....but... I really don't know how in this day of many many powder, case, bullet, chamber, and barrel lengths or combinations you could be comfortable reloading without some kind of way to analyze what you are actually seeing with each load. Manuals are a help and a nice start but simply cannot allow for powder lot variations and the other variables. A chrono of some type is in my opinion, the minimum, and truthfully wholly inadequate by itself to tell you all you should know. A pressure trace of some sort is invaluable also. (The old "looking for pressure signs " methods can allow for some dangerous possibilities and potentially catastrophic results) An example of this is wildcats (a personal weakness of mine). The AI cartridges simply do not show pressure signs in the same manner or at the same levels SAAMI cartridges do. They frequently don't show until around 70k or higher. That's spooky unless you have a way to measure it.
As you can probably tell, I am a QuickLoad and QuickDesign fan. Do they require some study? Yep. Work? Yep. But so does anything else worthwhile. I doubt you took out your first rifle, fired it and saw MOA or better. It required some additional knowledge and work is my point. Good stuff frequently isn't simple or easy.
I simply cannot believe on a fine site like this that a program or two that cost less than a scope on your rifle are considered expensive.
If you don't like computers then fine. Or if you're just cheap, that's fine too. Or if you've been reloading since Moby Dick was a minnow, fine. Don't buy them. In the end, it's your rifle, ammo, money and time. But respect the ability of others to make that same decision.

I agree completely. It boggles my mind that people who routinely discuss the merits of $2k scopes and $600 barrels will balk at $150 for reloading software. That is the equivalent of 2 boxes of Berger .338 bullets, or a steel HD picatinny rail, or a set of heavy duty tactical scope rings.

To those who say the output cannot be copyright protected, I suggest you read up on copyright law. the product their tool creates is covered under copyright protection.

I have QuickLoad. I use it regularly and I like it. For a "new to you" round, it will get you close and help you stay safe. Then you can collect some data from that first rounds and tweak Quickload to get some really good data.

Is it magic? No.
Will it replace general knowledge of reloading and ballistics? No.
As the old adage regarding computers: Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Is QuickLoad necessary for successful load development? Not at all.
Can it save you some money (components) at a time when components can be hard to get? Yes.

I for one find QuickLoad a bargain. If you consider the time, cost and effort required to build the powder and bullet database included in the software, I am surprised it is not 2 or 3 times more.

Like most everything else in life, you get out of QuickLoad what you are willing to put into it. If you work with it, continue to research what others have accomplished with it, you will be surprised how well the output correlates to the actual results. I learn new things all the time. I learned some new things while reading this thread.

You decide what tools you need for a job. The difference between a hack and a craftsman is the selection of tools and how they are used/applied.

FWIW,

To those who say the output cannot be copyright protected, I suggest you read up on copyright law. the product their tool creates is covered under copyright protection.

Quickload and any software is copywrite protected from coping the software and selling it.

I can invite you to my house to listen to a capywrited music cd and it doesn't violate the law.

And what I input into Quickload is "MY" data and its output is "MY" data and is not the property of the creator of Quickload. The same applies to Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.

Now look at the links below and tell me these people are violating "Copywrite" laws and the key word is "COPY".

So don't tell me accurateshooter.com below is intensionally violating copywrite laws.

Quickload Reloading Software within AccurateShooter.com

Below Quickload search on Google, do you think Google would intensionally violating copywrite laws?

https://www.google.com/search?q=qui...ktTSAhWLKyYKHSgmD20Q_AUICCgD&biw=1366&bih=619

My big grip is what is written below and people asking for Quickload data. If you input load data from a reloading manual into Quickload the velocity/chamber pressure doesn't match the manual. Meaning Quickload must be tweaked and adjusted to give true chamber pressure and velocity data. And Quickload owners keep posting data in forums to questions without all the data needed to give accurate information.

WARNING: QuickLOAD is a computer simulation of centerfire cartridge performance. YOU MUST NEVER just "plug in the numbers" and use QuickLOAD's output for a load recipe. That is foolish and dangerous. There are many reasons why the data QuickLOAD generates may not be safe in YOUR gun. Before loading live ammunition, you should always check with the powder-makers' most recent load data. In fact, you should check multiple sources if possible, and consult with individuals who actually load for that cartridge. Sierra Bullets offers free load maps which, in general, are fairly conservative. Even when using manufacturers' load data, start 10% low and work up. Differences in brass, primer brand, and seating depth can make huge differences in pressure. Always reload conservatively and always double- and triple-check QuickLOAD's output against reliable load data supplied by the powder-makers.

Bottom line, the data posted by jfseaman in another posting is not correct and has not been tweaked/adjusted for that rifle. Just for starters you need a chronograph and your case capacity to adjust Quickload for the correct velocity and chamber pressure. And this is just one reason why loading data varies so much between loading manuals.

Now ask yourself where the developer of Quickload got all the reloading data to make his software? Hint, from all the copywrited reloading manuals and printed information.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.