Stringing

Make sure your stock bolts are torqued.

How much are they stringing?

I would agree.... except for the fact that its linear.... leans me to believe its cheek pressure or trigger pull.... or something WAY off base.
Different bullet, different load..... change the "pulse" and see if the problem fixes itself. smart money says it will.

They are, I torque everything. It's not much, the groups are under an 1" but thats not quite good enough. I've tried win748, Benchmark, 35gr barnes varm grenade, 50 grain hornady and sierra, and 55 grain hornady in addition. I've done round robin ladder testing at first, which from everything I've seen turned out to be a waste of time and components, gets you no farther than working out of a load book. I'm eventually just gonna rebarrel the damned thing and chamber it in .223 AI and get a twist that will shoot the heavier bullets.

Typical remmy barrel.
Some are cobs, some shoot great others are average at best.
I would just get a Brux, Douglas or Shlien and give it a whirl..... the sps's are not known for being diamonds in the rough...

I knew that going in. I got it simply as something to experiement with all these different reloading techiniques, just for the fact I can load and shoot to my hearts content and not break the bank.

It's great. I can read on the internet all day long about seating depths, magnum vs standard primers, brass and primer brands, powder brands and charges, etc.. Not that there isn't great advice. But with the .223 I can actually go out and see the results of my different combinations firsthand for real cheap.

Sub moa stringing? is that an oxymoron?

No doubt it could be any of the above mentioned issues, a lot would say thats a non issue out of a factory rig w/ a heavy trigger. You're not exactly shooting BR

No it is not shooting BR. But at a 100 yards there are not many factory guns you should not be able to get to shoot well, under an inch is also .9 not .25 or anything. I own and have seen shot, plenty of stock rifles that can be made to shoot well. I just have to find the right combo of components and load for this particular rifle, as well as try and eliminate shooter error as much as possible.

I have not tried BLC-2 yet, its on the list if I don't find something I like with Varget. This rifle is proving fun to experiment with.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.