vertical stringing ?

also, what is an acceptable variance in coal ?....my intended length is 3.370, but I sometimes have cases that measure as low as 3.673 and some as high as 3.376?...is that much of a difference causing my problem?

also, what is an acceptable variance in coal ?....my intended length is 3.370, but I sometimes have cases that measure as low as 3.673 and some as high as 3.376?...is that much of a difference causing my problem?

What bullet? are you measuring the overall length or are you measuring to the ogive.

bullets like the burger VLD and Sierra MK have long pointed noses and can't be measured accurately with dial calipers from base to tip. You need a gage that will measure to the ogive.

My suspicion this is not the problem. You need a gunsmith.

by chance are you loading burger VLD's to mag length?

Yes, I'm loading the berger 140 gr vld in a 264 win mag and I'm measuring off the tip with dial calipers. Not loading to mag length, loading .10 off the lands and have plenty of room in the mag

Yes, I'm loading the berger 140 gr vld in a 264 win mag and I'm measuring off the tip with dial calipers. Not loading to mag length, loading .10 off the lands and have plenty of room in the mag

have you tried any other bullets?

now you may be way more experienced than me at this but

my experience with the berger VLD in several rifles is they like to be jammed 0.01 to O.02 into the lands. Usually that is nowhere near mag length. That will bring 1 hole groups.

any other COL and they scatter like the wind. Unless you are lucky and follow berger's recommendations on finding the jump.

Did you use a stoney point or hornady overall length gage with one of your bullets in it to find the overall cartridge length to the lands?

on this forum you can find berger's recommendations on how to find a mag length COL

I just gave up messing with them on my deer rifle. I got a box of the berger hybrid hunting and they are very forgiving and shoot 1 hole 5 shot groups at mag length.

[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

the reason your overall length is varying so much is that your bullet seating die is not seating off the tip but the ogive and you are measuring to the tip.

those tips on "VLD's vary a bunch.

well I decided to just start over from the beginning and work through a powder charge ladder like I should have from the beginning...and 7 out of 11 groups shot between 1/4 - 1/3 moa....the best group for 3 shots being .038.

I think the problem was that 75 gr just was not an accurate charge, and I needed to back it off a bit to get that supreme accuracy. i kept my targets, but don't know how to load pictures...if someone wants to do that i can text them to someone if they would like

There are instructions on the sub-forum page at the top.

" how to upload pictures directly from your computer "

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.