Stringing

TK 1985

What are some causes of horizontal stringing at the target? I know, well correct me if I'm wrong, that vertical stringing comes from powder or at least muzzle velocity inconsistencies. But what about horizontal?

Barrel heat, fouling, YOU (i.e. trigger jerk),mirage.....Very seldom does a scope do that during a failure.... for me, when a scope dies its *USUALLY* angular.

I knew a hot barrel could throw shots, I did not know it would do it in a nice horizontal line

I had the same issue when I started shooting the big magnums. My problem was I was putting to much shoulder into it. It was making the muzzle jump up and to the left, making the rifle do a little dance on the bipods. I started relaxing alittle and letting the rifle recoil straight back. I also don't rap my thumb around on top. I lay it across my knuckle, in line with my trigger finger. That helped with me squeezing the grip to much.

What range was the target? Obviously wind, which is always present, is the largest source of horizontal stringing. Even at a hundred yards it is a factor if you have a precise rifle and are shooting sub moa.

I had the same issue when I started shooting the big magnums. My problem was I was putting to much shoulder into it. It was making the muzzle jump up and to the left, making the rifle do a little dance on the bipods. I started relaxing alittle and letting the rifle recoil straight back. I also don't rap my thumb around on top. I lay it across my knuckle, in line with my trigger finger. That helped with me squeezing the grip to much.

A vertical grip really helps to squarely pull the rifle into your shoulder.

What range was the target? Obviously wind, which is always present, is the largest source of horizontal stringing. Even at a hundred yards it is a factor if you have a precise rifle and are shooting sub moa.

Yeah, the lack of info makes it hard to diagnose

223? You're not going to have any jump, unless the rifle weighs 4 lbs.
I'm guessing trigger control...
Stupid question.... the bullets AREN'T keyholing are they?

Remington 700 sps varmint, Magpul hunter stock. No they are not keyholing, and it very well could be my trigger control, it is still rockin the stock trigger.

The stock triggers for the most part are lousy.... However, I have had good luck tuning them down.... tend to break pretty dang clean.
Id almost say buy a box of factory 55 grainers and see if it exhibits the same issues.
I don't think that SPS varmint has the twist rate to handle anything over 62-68 grainers.

Have you tried anything else? the 55 Ballistic tip I feel is a MUCH better bullet... then again, I run Nosler in dang near everything.... short of my 30 Cals... those tend to be Hornady or Sierra setups...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.