Stock style

boomhand

I'm having a custom Rem. 700 barreled action being made for a hunting rifle and need to decide what style of stock I want to use. What would be the advantages or disadvantages between a sporter style vs a hunter or bdl style? The gun will be a 300WSM with a #4 barrel and I'll probably go with a Mcmillian. Also I'm interested in how recoil will effect the gun when shooting off a bench.

If your going with the McMillan and don't want the heavier tactical style like the A5 type stocks , I'd look at their Sako Varmint style , its a very wel desgined stock and has just the right cast off and fit to make a good carry gun but also handels well off the bench. If your gonna be shooting more from the bi-pod or bags the Winchester marsman style is realy comfortable.

I like the Hs Precision stock like those on the SV series and Sendero rilfes they have a wider forend to help the gun stabilize on the bench.

i actually just switched my stock off of my sendero. i am shooting a 50mm scope and was having trouble when behind the rifle. i ordered a mcmillan htg with the adjustable check piece. i think that this is the best all around.

Go with the McMillan HTG stock. However, if you order this stock, it could take up to 24 weeks until it's delivered to you. The HTG stock is a great stock and will be worth the wait.

W.

If you can get your hands on a few (a variety of stocks can often be seen at the range) it makes it much easier to decide. Just my .02

What I'm trying to figure out is if a certain style stock will have less muzzle jump than another and does this affect accuracy. I have a Sako 75 in 270WSM and it will jump to where you lose the target when shooting off a bench though it does group TSXs 3/4 in. I was looking at the A5 but I have to research the weight difference vs the other styles because I'm trying to keep the weight down for hunting purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.