still need advice

j_22250

Hey guys,I got my green socks on and I would like to hear yall's opinions. Many of you probably looked at my last post about the .243ai vs. 6x284. Since I'm working with a short action the .243ai would probably be my best option. If I had the medium action I would build a 6x284. Anyways I'm going with a 24" barrel so I only want to push an 80-87gr. bullet at 3400fps give or take(only 3400 cause I dont want a barrel longer than 24" this is going to be my goto gun for deer and yotes). I've also been considering the 22-250ai with a 1-8 twist to shoot 75-80gr. a-maxs, but with the .243ai I would have more bullet options with a 1-10 twist I can go all the way up to 100grs. My hornady manual says a 22-250 can shoot an 80gr. around the same velocities as an 87gr. outta a .243win. Many people say the 80gr .224 bullet is less affected by wind cause it's thinner, but it's pretty long too; so a shorter .243 87gr. bullet even though fatter should be about about the same I'm guessing. I know the 80gr. .224" bullet has a higher BC, but the 87gr. comes close. How much of factor does that acually make?

My question is which way would you guys go and why?

Sorry I kind of have a tendancy to answer my own questions, but still can't seem to come up with any kind of a decision. I'm sure many of you have been at this stage too, so any advice would be helpful to me.

By the way I shot a doe at 220yrds last saturday morning with this .243win. that I want to rebarel(100gr. soft point was devastating). I don't know what i'm getting all worked about I already have a hell of a goto gun.

Last edited:
imo

Don't know what kind of sa you have, but i have had 2 rem. sa in a 6-284 it will work as a repeater. Be that said i would go with the 243 ai though. Way more brass availability. Have not bought 284 brass in a while, but it use to be hard to get at times. I would go with .243 over the .22. again just a better choice of bullets. hope this helped. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.