Stay Home - How to Clean In-Coming Stuff - Ozonics!

Muddyboots

So mail keeps coming and so do the on-line purchases. Dang this better be over soon spending way too much on-line!! So wondering about the materials coming in and thought of my idled Ozonics unit in basement. So placed unit in large plastic tub with tight lid with contents of shipments and let it cook for about 10 minutes to completely replace air in tub with ozone. Take unit out quickly and let the contents soak for as long as I want in ozone which kills dang near everything. Lots of medical studies on ozone plus it is used it for variety of environmental solutions whether air emissions or water discharges. So this may be another means to further protect at the home.

I was concerned since my wife has a physical condition that has lowered her immune system so we have to be extra careful for everything that may come in contact. We still wipe down a few things afterwards to be further insured but that is just what we have to do for our "normal". So life goes on and we all need to think of ways to further protect under your own conditions.

It has been said by the professionals that the CV can only live on cardboard for 24hrs max. I put the incoming packages in the basement for a few days before opening them. If you handle the box without gloves just wash your hands. There isn't a confirmed case of anyone getting CV from a delivered parcel or from the mail that I am aware of and most people aren't that cautious with delivered items.

What about (delivered) take-out food; that's even a bigger question. And then there is the currency issue. It has been claimed that CV can live on currency for up to 9 days. Currency is passed around many times per day before you even get it. If I pay in cash I try to have the proper amount handy and tell them to keep the change. I don't want freshly handled currency in my hand or wallet.

I don't know about using ozone but it couldn't hurt and if makes you more comfortable then its worthwhile just for that reason.

Yet there are claims that CV lived on board one of the cruise ships with no one on board on certain surfaces for 17 days-- no one really knows the facts at this time so it's best to take extra precautions

Ozone actually was proven to kill sars and this cv-19 is a close relative so its feasible to assume that it would help.

But how long? I did read an article that suggested 3 hours of ozone soak to kill everything-- but be cautious, ozone is dangerous to humans and animals too-- it can destroy mucus membranes, and has the ability to cause cell mutations and cancer.

Agreed, we have to be careful.

My wife and I set up a couple of totes for groceries and stuff from the store and any shipments from online orders, these totes are sanitized.

So when we arrive at home, outside the door one person wipes down all the groceries and the other places them on the clean totes. A separate tote for fruits and veggies and these get washed before going to the fridge.

Another tote with lid for dirty laundry that removed as soon as we walk in the house, we have a change of clothes and shoes ready so nothing contaminated comes in the house.

Cardboard boxes are opened outside, thrown away and contents are sanitized before coming in the home.

Im still out working and will continue to, I won't get shut down by a lockdown so I need to stay clean and safe

A little over the top maybe but better safe than sorry. This also makes my wife happy so I am happy. Lol

Totally agree on safety with ozone. My professional career, academic and professional certs are all in environmental, occupational health and safety. That is why it is in a sealed plastic tub. I am convinced it will kill anything with enough saturation time which is why the tub is not opened until the next day. We have been fully isolated for 2+ weeks without going to store or any drive thru at all. Yes we have enough TP so what else do we need? LOL! Live out in country on 5 acres so not close contact though we can see neighbors houses. I rather be more aggressive in "killing" the virus versus hoping it dies on its own just because of the risk my wife could face otherwise. Even with that, any packages are opened with nitrile gloves, contents removed wiped down and cardboard containers burned. Is it over the top? For some for sure but when you have someone that is at high risk you do go over the top! I just got a 8# RL16 today that was easily wiped down since exterior is plastic so wipes do a pretty good job. Even then its in basement for duration so it will be air drying for weeks before I need to get into it. That is unless I shoot a lot more in yard!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.