Starting Powder Charge for 28 Nosler and 195 EOL

TTH

Any help on this would be appreciated. I've searched for hours and not found anything concrete on the .28.

Im currently running 175 ABLRs over 82.5 grains of Retumbo with good results. My rifle is. 1x9 twist Bartlein at 28". I know this is "marginal" for the 195s, but would like to try them, especially since I have two boxes.

I'm considering starting at about 79 grains and working from there.

Well, I jumped head first.

Started at 79, 79.5 and 80 grains of Retumbo. 80 grains showed mild pressure with a very slight extractor mark. I fired all three rounds into an easy sub half inch group, so the accuracy will be there. The OAL of the loaded round at the lands was 3.659.

Next step will be the chrono. Hoping for about 3050.

Well, I jumped head first.

Started at 79, 79.5 and 80 grains of Retumbo. 80 grains showed mild pressure with a very slight extractor mark. I fired all three rounds into an easy sub half inch group, so the accuracy will be there. The OAL of the loaded round at the lands was 3.659.

Next step will be the chrono. Hoping for about 3050.

I know this is a bit different but on my 7 Rum 1-9 twist 26" barrel I wound up running 85.5 grains of Retumbo and coming in with 2965 fps.

Id email ryan pierce and ask what he is running.

Not only is he a bad bad dude, he had been playing with the 28 nosler a lot.

Most Accurate 7mm Bullet

Thanks for the contact Bushman. I made contact with Ryan at Piercision Rifles
He does have a wealth of knowledge and spent several minutes answering my questions. Looks like I will be working up from 80 grains of RL 33.

Cant wait to see your findings. I just sent my dummy rounds off to get my barrel made my COAL is 3.595 I hope I will have the case capacity to hit that 3150 mark with my 195's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts