Starting load Absolute Hunter 7RM

Country Bumpkin

Hello folks, as the title would suggest, I'm looking for a starting load for the 155 gr Absolute Hunter in my 7RM. Barrel is a Proof 22" 8.44 twist.
Ill be using RL26.
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to try them.

I haven't had a need nor desire to Futs with the absolute hammers but everything I've read indicates a very fast for cartridge powder. So where rl26 may be ideal for a traditional hammer hunter you may have to go faster

Steve says start at the max load for a given weight with a known powder and work up from there, if you run out of room you need to switch to a faster powder.
Looking at Alliant's site they have data for a 154grn bullet using 69.5 grns of RL26. If it were me (and you're dead set on using RL26) I'd start at 68grns and work up by .5 grns until you find pressure. If the case is full before pressure switch to a faster powder.

Ryan

My current load for 160 Barnes is 60.0 gr.
If I'm starting out at 68, is that because I'd be chasing speed or because the design of this bullet requires it.

Interesting. What are the physics of that?

I'm curious to know how these things work.
I'm starting to 2nd guess my choice, who likes throwing powder in the wind during times like this?
🤪

Not apples to apples here but in my 280ai I went from using RL23 to RL17 to shoot the 140AH. Not saying 26 won't work, it just may not be the best. I'm in the process now of trying the 117 absolute in my 25 SST. I usually use N565 so I have a ladder loaded with that. I then loaded up a ladder with RL17. If I don't get the speed I want from the 565 and RL17 I'll try 4350, then 4895 and so on.

68 grns may be aggressive, it's just the closest published data to a 155 grain bullet I found on Alliant's website. I see there is 154 dead blow data on the load spreadsheet, looks like using RL26 he pressured out at 69.0 grains. I would think the AH will be able to go a grn or 2 more. They have a lower engraving pressure so you need a faster powder (usually) to get the bullet to pressure up initially. If I had the ability to crimp I'd do that as well.

The whole point of the AH is the added speed, they have lower BC than the regular HHs. If you're not worried about speed I'd go with the HH instead. Both will kill just fine!

If you mean why it needs a faster powder, it's to put more in the case to maximize the velocity you can get from the bullet. That has to do with bullet RPM imparted by muzzle velocity/barrel twist and is partially why matching the recommended twist rates isn't optional. From the man himself:

The higher the rpm's on the bullet the longer it penetrates nose forward in a straight line. If a bullet is still penetrating but no longer spinning it will deviate from it's original path and become unpredictable. We will be doing some testing to see if we can duplicate these events.

Bullet RPM = MV X 720/Twist Rate (in inches)

I'm curious to know how these things work.
I'm starting to 2nd guess my choice, who likes throwing powder in the wind during times like this?
🤪
The bullets design pressure up much much slower than any other bullet design. Honestly the hammer hunters are such a good bullet there's isn't an appreciable enough difference to spend time and powder trying the absolutes. While the absolutes are an incredible design but how far are they going to increase your effectiveness range? Likely not far enough to stress over