Stainless 17-4 bolt and 416 action

G

I want to get some new oversized replacement bolts for my Remington 700 big game hunting rifles from Dave Kiff at Pacific Grinding. My Remington actions are all 416 stainless. I can get either chrome moly 4140 bolts (and have them nickeled for corrosion resistance) or 17-4 stainless bolts. Some have told me that even dissimilar stainless materials will gall, while others say the 17-4 is considerably harder than the 416 and will not present a problem. Comments please!

[email protected]

G

Yes dissimilar metels will gall if the heat and stress is high enough.
17-4 has a Brinell hardness of 332 and a yield strength of 145 ksi , both of which is way higher than 416ss that stands at 40 ksi and 155 Brinell.
I would think that if you had the standard 4140 bolts treated with say the NP-3 system from Robar that you would be fine but if you wanted the extra expense of the 17-4 then that should be fine also
in either case , so long as the lugs and action are true and square with one another so they mate and share the stress evenly , I believe that you would have alot bigger problems once the pressure gets high enough to gall the lugs.
I've seen a couple guns get the bolts locked closed from pressure but they were in bone stock factory guns and the pressure was way way high , probably 1.5 to 2.5 grains above flattened primers.

Like P.O. Ackly said , the weak link in the pressure chain is the case head.

chris matthews

Either one will work and both should be properly lubed. Remington factory SS bolts have a chrome moly head welded onto a SS bolt body.
Nesika uses all SS and they are prone to galling if they are not lubed.

On another note I would advise against getting oversized bolts for hunting rifles. Any dirt or grit in the action will make things hard to work. Nesika's are really tight awesome actions, but I have seen them sieze up in real world hunting conditions unless kept really clean.

[ 07-20-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce