Stag 3G reviews?

Vamike9

I purchased a Stag 3G about 6 months ago and have had limited time on the gun. It has a 1in 8 twist, Shaw stainless steel fluted match barrel, and a very nice muzzle comp as well. The best groups I've been able to achieve have been around 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with Factory ammo by Hornady. In most situations this would be very good but the only bullet I could get to group that welll was the Hornady 55gr SP. The Black Hills 69gr and Hornady 75gr wouldn't group as well at 100yds, however, not because the ammo wasn't good, just not right for the barrel apparently. I really would like to be able to use heavier bullets that the 1 in 8 twist should allow. My question to you guys is what have you been able to achieve with the Stag 3G and what bullets work best with that 18in Shaw barrel with 1in8 twist rate? My Stag 6H will shoot almost anything well but the bbl is much heavier. I wanted to post this to help anyone else out who is interested in learning more about their Stag 3G. I really do think Stag Arms makes an excellent firearm for a very reasonable price, and also have some of the best customer service I've seen. Thanks ahead of time to all who help with this.

I've had my 3G for a little over a year now. It is probably my favorite AR type rifle I've ever owned. I added a 3x15 Weaver Tactical GS and a Magpul PRS stock, otherwise it's untouched. I bought it mainly for a quick handling coyote rifle that offered fast follow up shots if need be. I haven't reloaded much at all for it but had great luck with 52gr Sierra HPMK's and H-335 seated to mag length. I settled on Hornady 75gr Match Hollow points as I had tons of them from another project. At 100yds they aren't anything to write home about, (3/4 MOA) but with dialing for drop, I hit an 8" steel plate at 500yds with regular boredom. I've had it out to around 700yds but accuracy seriously suffers so I only plink at rocks and such at that distance. I've never got it hot per se, but barrel temp doesn't seem to alter POI or groups in the slightest. I killed a small hog with it at about 350-400 yards this fall and though it wouldn't be my 1st choice, it worked well. The only thing I really have bad to say about it is that when shooting, it's loud. With that shorter barrel and muzzle break, it has a pretty good crack to it so I wear hearing protection whenever possible while hunting...anyway not much added to the original post but hope it helps anyone who might be looking at these rifles....

Did you ever get your 3G to shoot the heavier pills? I just picked up a new 3G for $1250 out the door. I plan to start with the 53 gr Vmax and the 69 gr SMK with Benchmark and Varget.

First, let me say that I think that Stag makes a very high quality rifle at a very good price. Still, at 100 yards it's nothing that would really impress anyone. However as you push out to further distances I believe you can gain more consistency with the heavier bullets. Usually groups are within 1 MOA at 300 yards,(3 inches or less.) Since every barrel is different I really can't say, although I would expect some similarity. I haven't used any handloads with this rifle but I think the 69 grain smk is a great choice with Varget . I wish I had more information to give you but I just haven't been to the range very often lately with this particular rifle, good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.