Springfield M1A1

7ultra

I know this isn't exactly an LR topic, but it is an equipment question none the less. I am looking at the springfield M1A1's, and am at a little bit of a loss as to what grade would be the best. Off hand, how accurate are the loaded and National match models. Do I really have to step up to a supernational match to find sub MOA accuracy. Any experiences with these rifles and opinions are much appreciated. Thankyou

Unless things have changed recently, (I doubt they have much) I'd seriously sugggest just buying rack grade with wood stock. My early M1As were all like that and all could get 1 moa or just a bit better with reloads. Get the trigger done and a bedding job and you were pretty much assured of .75 moa. Pay almost twice as much for bells and whistles and you'll more than likely have to have the trigger redone and the gun rebedded anyway. IE they don't do the best of jobs.

Good M1A smiths are easy to find if you go to FL Highpower and ask. Hook Boutin is one of the best, really reasonable and quick. Ask questions and let the answers build up. Fulton Armory is one to totally avoid.

FWIW you can get an M1A much better than a super match for 1000-1200 bucks a lot of the time on that sight IIRC. Thats a Krieger barrel(how many rounds depends) and a McMillan stock and spend less than the super match.

Jeff

Springfields ratings on their rifles indicate that you better buy the best if you want MOA type performance.

However, if the chamber is cut right, there are lots of tuning and bedding tweaks that can make these rifles really shoot. Of course, proper handloading makes a huge difference.

The link is to a Canadian site which will contain lots of info on loading and on tuning. We play with the M305 which is a Norinco copy of the M1A. These rifles shoot extremely well when tuned. Certainly, they shoot as well or better then the tweaked Springfields.

So I hope that it gives you some ideas on how to approach this rifle. The single biggest issue is how well that chamber is cut. if cut sloppy, nothing you do will make that rifle shoot. Also, you should check the throat, if overly long, this will be a spray and pray barrel.

We have found that the standard Norinco chrome line barrel shoots as well as anything else, as long as the chamber is cut true. The same applies here.

Do a search for mysticplayer, and you will find my varied thoughts on this subject. You can also follow my website link for more info on tuning and loading for these semi autos.

Jerry
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=93deb3680db8bda29aa0f48fe51a465e

Hi Jerry

I have to disagree on throat length. As long as its a good barrel and the chamber is done correctly, long throats will shoot right along with short ones. I had a couple of rifles built (M1A and a bunch of AR15s) with long throats on purpose, and when shooting slow fire they were great. But the surprising part is that rapid fire mag length ammo in those throats was as accurate if not more so than any of my short throated guns.

I"ve only dealt with long throats in about 11 barrels though so it could be a fluke
wink.gif

Good quality barrel, correct chamber, and correct bedding are the most important factors along with the perfunctory normal, get the best load for your rifle stuff that goes without saying.

Seen any of the Norinco clones blow up? I had a couple and dumped them after some bad reports years ago. But since the AR will shoot circles around the M1A, even out to 1000, I don't mess with the M1As that much any more.

Later, Jeff

Jerry

Yes you are exactly correct on throat length. My misunderstanding.

The only rifle I have that fits your description of freebore is a weatherby. And though it shot well, it was never close to tackdriver.

Sorry, Jeff

rost495, remember that a throat is considered long when a bullet does not engrave the lands/rifling before leaving the neck of the case. There will be precisious few rifles that will shoot MOA or even 2 MOA when a bullet has a jump from case neck to rifling.

My definition of freebore is a lack of rifling in the throat so that the fired bullet can move forward a ways before contacting the lands. However, the bullet still becomes full engraved before leaving the neck. These rifles can shoot extremely well.

My guess is that if you measure your throats, your accurate shooters with 'long' throats will fit my description of freebore.

We have had several batches of Norinco rifles arrive over the last few years. There has never been a documented case of a rifle blowing up. In fact, most of the ones I have played with and heard used throughout Canada, function and shoot as well if not better then the Springfields.

I have heard of the past problems with the US models. So far, none have hit our shores. The quality of manufacture is really, really good now.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.