Spring Turkey - 2011

top predator

1st day (Apr. 30) I chose not to shoot at a jake with 5" / 6" ish beard at 8:30 in the morning (as the last few years I harvested long beards), by 10:00 I was regretting it with $4.00 a gallon of gas and plus the lack of time to actually go hunting.
Second trip out (Friday May 06, different area) produced a few gobbles at daybreak, a coyote, and 2 deer, along with seeing 3 hens later in the day. Nothing to shoot at though.
Today (May 07 different area) I thought about the $4.00 a gallon of gas and with what I thought at the time to be rainclouds to my right, I squeezed the trigger. This was the first time at this property, no previous scouting to go by. There were 4 jakes together, I had to wait until they were far enough out (at one time they were within 10 yards) and until they spread out enough not to take out 2 or more with one shot.
2011SPRINGTURKEY05072011WORDED.jpg

2011SPRINGTURKEY05072011WORDED2.jpg

I know, only a 3.25" beard, but like I said before, $4.00 a gallon of gas, the lack of time, and with the nasty wet weather we've been having here in the NE, it was a legal bird, i can pick and choose next season.

Sounds like a fun hunt.

At first I thought, wow, he shot the bird blindfolded. But then I realized the bird was blindfolded too, so it was not that big a deal. :D

In all seriousness, congrats on a nice bird!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.