spotting from separate location

Bravo 4, Thanks. I think you get what I basically wanna do. Your point about the buddy never having to set foot on the farm would be a great advantage because I am not to comfortable with asking to bring a friend in. Just don't like to take advantage of a good thing. As to you keeping your opinions to yourself, I almost never hold a grudge or condemn someone for their input. I asked for input and whatever comes with it i can accept or dismiss. let it rip, I got my big boy pants on lol! after all this is just an idea I'm thinking about incorporating into a hunt to see what it produces. If my buddy sees a giant on the other side of the farm I can set up on him from 300 and take him with my rifle I am comfy at that range and Im sure I can get a shot due to the way the farm lays out. While I appreciate what the others here have to say on the issue. I feel anything I can do to produce a monster is in my best interest, but frankly it's not new and certainly within the realm of possibility. Thanks again

Yobuck Thanks. I don't know if you are familiar with western ny. It has very big hills more like mega gargantuan hills as far as the eyes can see big hills a lot like PA. I disagree with you about 2000 acres being " not that big" it is and its way more than I could ever cover on my own. The 2000 is pressured but so it the 10,000 acres of privet land around it. most of the other farms stick to the 8 point min. Due to the numbers of hunters on the state land It is not unfathomable to think large deer can be spotted. mainly when the masses go home for lunch and or quit cuz it's cold. As far as the guys in the west, I have found that what works for them suits me perfectly in my plan to scope deer from afar. The farm is the platform for a shooting gallery. But I'm just one man and when the bucks are rutting all bets are off all the scouting in the world will not help me figure them out. With only limited time bag a buck along with the cost to hunt out of state keeps me dreaming of ways to make it all work ....... even if some don't think it's fair or ethical, I have a right to do what the law says I can. I hunt for the meat but would still love to bag a bruin. Thanks for your input, it keeps me in tune with what other hunters and often more experienced professionals have in their minds. It's like a smorgasbord I'll take what I need and as much as I want

As to you keeping your opinions to yourself, I almost never hold a grudge or condemn someone for their input. I asked for input and whatever comes with it i can accept or dismiss. let it rip, I got my big boy pants on lol

I was only trying to be the bigger person and not talk crap about a hunting style just because I don't agree with it. The situation I am speaking of was an out of state solo hunt on public land where an outfitter had a combo of the following: horses/radios/and a skirmish line of hunters. Never heard of an elk drive before. After the shooting stopped they had all the elk either dead or ran out of the county...them and the other 80 people out there. Hunting Punic land can really suck sometimes!

I've got a small 90'ish acre private place I hunt, killed some good deer on it the past few years. There are a couple other guys hunting it as well. The only people I would ask to take out there are my kids.

I knew b4 I asked I would hear a lot of theory and some conjecture. I also knew the subject of ssl would not be a "typical" style. To me none of that matters. All that matters to me is input that pertains to what I'm pondering. It's all good. The good the bad and the ugly. So let me reiterate what my main goal is. Has anyone ever spotted deer from afar for a shooter from a separate location? If you have, your input would help me skip some of the common mistakes and move on to the production of results AKA "the meat" When I sit this farm I see some nice deer walking near hunter that have no idea a deer is there. They sit in a tree stand for 3 to 5 hours and go home. They let deer pass and some shoot the does cuz they filled the buck tag. I always thought to myself ..... I wish he knew I was here and vice versa, He would put me on his x mas list for putting him on a nice buck not to mention saving him and or me a bunch of time sitting an area that is void of deer. So It is not my intention to dismiss, ignore or to insult or anger anyone. I appreciate the input and would like more. When I stumbled on this on line mag it took right back to the farm and i thought, hey these guys can prolly help. I'm not interested in the proven methods hunting, I can read hundreds of stories about how it's done. I want to pick the brain of some who can relate to the idea. I'm not an ******* or a dumb ***, just a dreamer and a schemer looking for like minded individuals with a sense of doing things outside the norm. I want to thank all of you for your time, I'm sure it's valuable. Thanks, and if I offend anyone please know it is not my intention, I'm just kicking around an idea I have had for a few years that was conceived through my experiences in the field that I want to explore...... :D

Maybe your advantage should be "patterning"the escape routes of the quarry. Learning all you can from a distance and applying your knew knowledge to slow down and hunt prime areas. Might even be in escape routes when other bump them..

Thanks wyo I can only hunt this farm for a week or so. So as I stated in the thread time is the factor im trying eliminate. To pattern the deer i count on the farm hands that bow hunt the prop. Also as I said earlier and prolly what most already know .... All bets are off when the rut hits. That is why I am working this idea. mainly to get a heads up from afar to capitalize on any advantage I can get. Thanks for your input

Keep'um in yur cross hairsgun):D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts