Spot and stalk spotting scope

B S

New kid in town here shopping for a packable functional durable CLEAR spotting scope. At the moment I am torn between the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 and the Leupold GR 15-30x50 compact.

Of course, I am also open to any suggestions from someone more experienced. I have come down to these two because of size weight and quality but I have no way to set the two up for side by side comparison. Just hoping someone else might have a few thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

BS

I voted for the Vortex also and I am taking mine along again tomorrow on my Wyoming spot and stalk bear hunt in the mountains.

Here is what I wrote about it last year.

CLICK HERE

Thanks for the input!

The best price I have found on the Vortex is $599. While leupold can be had for $359 with free shipping and a free stedi stock. So, I am leaning toward the leupold at the moment because I'm not sure that the vortex is really $200+ better. Although I have yet to actually put a vortex (of any kind) in my hands and look one over so I am going into this a bit blind.

Good luck on that bear hunt!! Don' let ol' griz get the best of you! Where in WY are you headed?

This purchase is for my DIY Wyoming mule deer backpack hunt this fall.

I have not over looked a binocs only solution. The Kaibabs are out of my price range but the 15x50 vipers might be an option. Also I just discovered the 2x press on doubler from vortex and I'm thinking that option is getting very very realistic. The inevitable major drawback is money; Buy binocs, buy doubler, and buy tripod. I was alternately leaning toward and lightweight scope mounted on a stedi-stock (stock weighs less than half a pound and can be had for $20-25). I will certainly be taking shooting sticks regardless of my optic configuration so the scope on the stock braced on the shooting sticks deleted the expense and weight of a tripod and head (and possibly binocs altogether? it'll come down to how much I want to have to pack around). I know its not as steady as a rock solid tripod, but I am doing some high mileage backpacking on this hunt and almost assuredly on future hunts as well. The scope on a stock can be braced up on rocks, tree limbs, logs, and my pack for prone viewing. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree so to speak which is why I posed the question on here.

The Vortex Diamondback 2-60x60 is a very lightweight option as well. On a Summit tripod it is an extremely light package. I can't imagine using a spotting scope on a stock. Just touching the eyepiece with my eyebrow is enough vibration to make the scope unusable. There is no way I could keep a 30+ power optic steady in the field on a stock. Also would be concerned about fatigue holding up a stock compared to sitting behind a tripod. With an angled eyepiece you may be able to get away with laying prone with the scope on your pack.

I am fortunate to have both spotting scope and large binoculars,but if I had to chose between one I'd take the binoculars every time,running them off a small tripod, I have found it's a lot easier on the eye's when glassing for long periods.

Thank you all so much for the help and input! Y'all know how to make a new fella feel welcome!

I think A binocs only setup will likely be my best bet with ease of use and functionality. The 2x doubler from vortex is probably going to be what winds up convincing me to go that route. A 15x50ish binoc ona tripod would them jump to about 30x50 and accomplish the exact same goal as a light weight spotter.

Browning, I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience with Minox but I will take a serious look at them.

Feenix, Thanks for the heads up on that sale ad! I'll be doing some research on that model too

I don't own a doubler. Have thought about getting one but haven't heard any good input about brightness or clarity. My friend had one for his sworros. And it was absolutely unusable with out a tripod. (He for get his tripod head on the hunt). I run 12x56 on a tripod and love it for finding game. Have how ever entertained a spotting scope for better field judging (mountains of Idaho ) just can't justify the extra weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.