Spike tents.......lets do it again...lol

Elkwonder

I know it has been talked about a dozen or more times, but lets do it again!!! LOL
I am upgrading my last two pieces of gear for next hunting season......My tent and Sleeping bag! I just ordered a Western mountaineering puma gws -25 sleeping bag. Now I need to pick a tent.
I want to get a great tent for doing all of my backpack spike camp hunting. I would obviously like to get a great deal on one, but price is not as important to me as comfort, weight and durability. I have a couple tents that are looking pretty good to me. However, Im open to any other tents as well, so PLEASE don't hold back with your experiences......
Some of the ones I am looking at are

Sierra Designs lightning ul2
Big Agnes.....several tents of theirs
Cabelas XPG ul2
Helliberg nallo2
Big Agnes shield 2

I would like to be able to use my tent in the later seasons when snow is on the ground as well as early september archery hunts. I hate to have to carry anything too heavy, also I am a little concerned about condensation getting my new bag damp or wet. I know that a wet (down sleeping bag) is worthless.
I have never had a single wall tent design and so I am not sure how good of a choice that is with condensation issues, but I know they are a little better durability and warmth.
So, what say you? Thanks for any and all opinions and experiences.....

I have been researching the same thing. I am going to go nallo gt, deciding between 2 and 3.

I like the hallo 2, but the gt model is a little more than I wan to tote around....Im getting too old....lol

I use a tipi type tent (Tigoat) and a titaniun wood stove. The weight for both is around 7 lbs. Tent is very easy to set up and take down. Have not used it in a lot of snow, but have used it in some pretty good rain storms. Seems to shed water quite well. I've done a fair amount of backpack hunting. And finally come to the conclusion nothing ruins a trip for me quicker than being wet or cold. And when you are a days hike from the nearest road it can sure be a long miserable day. So I go to the trouble of dragging a wood stove along. Will admit I usually hunt with my brother or son so can distribute the load. Good luck and have fun.

I have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. I lived in it for a week a while back. It handled 40mph plus winds, hard down pours, and hail. The weather pretty much sucked the whole trip. It blew my mind how well it did. Nevever leaked. The design prevents condensation. And it weighs less than 5 lbs. I don't know how it would handle snow, but there's one way to find out.

I own the Sierra Designs Lightening 2-person and the Marmot Limelight 3p for solo back pack hunts. I'm tall so I need the extra size. Both have performed flawlessly even in Colorado snow storms. The Sierra designs is a bit lighter, but the Limelight has two vestibules and I can get all my gear in the tent and/or vestibule and use the other vestibule for cooking under... So don't feel the need to pack a tarp like I do with the Sierra designs.

Also own a Cabelas XPG Expedition 4-person 4-season. It's heavy but it's bomb proof. I use it when I hunt with at least 1 other guy to share the load but usually go with 2 other guys when I pull out that tent.

I hunt archery and rifle in Colorado every year plus summer scouting trips, and I've never been wet from snow or rain with any of these tents.

Last edited:
I have own the Sierra Designs Lightening 2-person and the Marmot Limelight 3p for solo back pack hunts. I'm tall so I need the extra size. Both have performed flawlessly even in Colorado snow storms. The Sierra designs is a bit lighter, but the Limelight has two vestibules and I can get all my gear in the tent and/or vestibule and use the other vestibule for cooking under... So don't feel the need to pack a tarp like I do with the Sierra designs.

Also own a Cabelas XPG Expedition 4-person 4-season. It's heavy but it's bomb proof. I use it when I hunt with at least 1 other guy to share the load but usually go with 2 other guys when I pull out that tent.

I hunt archery and rifle in Colorado every year plus summer scouting trips, and I've never been wet from snow or rain with any of these tents.

Ive located a brand new Sierra designs lightning 2 UL for $200.00 shipped, and I am thinking about it pretty hard. I also really like the looks of the Cabelas xpg 2 UL but I have read that it is actually a LOT heavier than is advertised on Cabelas website.

How does the vestibule size on the Cabelas compared to the Sierra designs? I like plenty of space especially if the weather is bad.

Ive been thinking about the Kuiu mountain star. I have been using a 1 man tent and I have decided I would like some more room. I am willing to pay the price for a good tent that is a couple of pounds lighter.

REI lightweight tents, specifically the 2-3 man works great for us in Alaska. Very wet this area and they are reasonable 3-4 season durable. No one beats REI lifetime warranty on tents. Use the tar out of it and when it breaks bring it back in for a no hassle exchange. Cant remember the model name. Ive used about all the main brands out there. The better ones are all about the same.

Graywolf, you sound like you do some ice climbing, rock climbing, etc. I don't mean to brag or belittle but most of the hunters don't really understand what winter camping, snow camping, sleeping in your pack, melting ice to make water is all about. I've ice climbed all over the planet, including icebergs out of a Zodiak, Baffin Island, etc. Two winter accents of El Cap. Not talking about with a guide but on your own. Bibler is what will keep you alive.
Patagonia proof.
I didn't shoot rifles on those trips so don't ask me about that. But, I can tell you how to stay warm and dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.