Spider webbing a stock

outfitter55

Besides using krylon webbing spray, which i cant find in red, does anyone have a method of doing this or know of anyone that can do this?

Found a gunsmith that will do spider web any color you want. His work , (pics on web site) looks good! Think I will give him a try! thanks ! fosnaughcustoms.com

I found this. BillPa is a fantastic resource.

The webbing effect is created by mixing paint with a webbing agent, or just good old fashioned model glue.
3516.GIF

By mixing the ratio of paint to glue, the air pressure and distance, the web pattern can be applied in a heavy or very fine pattern.

I sure other paints can be used, but I've found Testor's Model Master enaml to be the right consistancy without thinning.
2000_series.jpg

Do not try using water based paints like later or acrylics. When mixed with the glue it creates and ugly lump of goop in the jar!

Mixtures ....................

Paint - Glue - Thinner.
25% 75% 1/4 tsp Very fine webbing
50% 50% 1/4 tsp Medium web
75% 25% 1/4 tsp Heavy thick narrow pattern.

I used measuring spoons for the mixing. An ounce of mix generally will do a stock. The laquer thinner helps to keep the paint and glue from seperating. In the mixing sequence, I add the paint, the thinner, mixed the two and lastly the glue,again mixing it well. My mixing it done in a small 2 oz jar(metal lid) and shaking the s***t out of it!
Let it stand for a minute,re-mix and spray using an airbrush with a medium tip at 25-30 psi.

As the ratio of paint to glue increases, the web pattern becomes darker,heaiver and make a narrow pattern. Its best sprayed from approx. 16" from the work. Rule of thumb, the more glue, the finer the pattern will be. Also, the higher content of glue, the faster the web dries, sometimes on contact, but in any case, in about a minute.
Regardless of the mix, apply the webbing lightly by adjusting the speed of the brush across the stock. Build up the density with multiple passes instead of one.

Lauer's Duracoat ( Lauer Custom Weaponry ) is used for the base color and final clearcoat sprayed with an airbrush. Generally 2 ozs for the base and 1 1/2 oz for the final clearcoat. This stuff is very tough and extremely hard to remove when cured, so take your time on the stock prep work.

I suggest doing some practice on paper or cardboard before trying a stock to get the mix,air presure and distance for the paint and airbrush you using. You don't need a 150 dollar Passche for either the paint or webbing. For the webbing I use a cheap model and a Passche H3 for the paint/clearcoat. Most any airbrush can be used as long as it has at least a medium tip. Use glass jars with metal caps for everything. The paint,glue and thinner will eat plastic in short order.

I hope this helps to get started.

Bill

Joe Collier of Collier Rifles in Millen, Ga does this. Look at his webpage under Rifle Upgrades. He is a great guy and does superb work. I can't say enough good about Joe. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.